Chapter 8

As we settle into the car, the atmosphere suddenly feels charged with an unspoken tension, amplified by the close confines of the vehicle. I fidget nervously in my seat, acutely aware of the subtle shift in energy between Kian and me. The silence hangs heavy, disturbed only by the soft hum of the engine and the occasional flicker of streetlights passing by.

I glance at Kian, taking in the profile of his chiselled jawline illuminated by the dim glow of the dashboard. His eyes are fixed on the road ahead, a mask of concentration that cover the underlying current of something else, something I can't quite put my finger on. Although his gaze is fixed on the road in front of him, I'm pretty sure that most of his attention is on me.

Despite my best efforts to suppress it, a flutter of anticipation stirs in the pit of my stomach. It's as if the air itself is charged with an electric pulse, drawing me closer to him while simultaneously filling me with a nervous energy. I find myself fighting with a storm of conflicting emotions, unsure of how to navigate this unfamiliar territory. Every instinct scream at me to say something, to break the suffocating silence that hangs between us, yet I'm paralyzed by the weight of his presence beside me.

Such a simple thing as his hand brushing against my bare knee as he uses the shifter sends shock waves through my body and stirs up illogical impulses within me. Which leads to me sitting here struggling with both finding words and the impulse to touch him. I struggle with everything and nothing, from the need to hold his hand in mine to a strong, surprising desire to kiss him. I swallow hard and shift nervously in my seat.

Out of the corner of my eye I see him glancing at me. And I can't help but wonder if he feels the same way. If he also senses the electric attraction that seems to exist between us. Does he also question the logic of it? Or is it just one of my thousand insecurities?

Lost in my thoughts, I'm jolted back to reality as Kian clears his throat, breaking the spell that had settled over us. "So, uh, how was your night?" he asks, his voice gentle yet tinged with an hint of uncertainty.

As the weight of Kian's question hangs in the air, I find myself struggling with a flurry of emotions, unsure of how to respond. His gaze remains fixed on the road ahead, yet I can sense the tension simmering just beneath the surface.

"It was... good," I finally manage to stammer out, my voice betraying the nervous jumble of thoughts swirling inside my head. "A little chaotic, but good."

A hint of a smile tugs at the corners of Kian's lips, his eyes flickering briefly to meet mine before returning to the road. "Chaotic, huh?".

I offer a weak chuckle in response, my fingers twisting nervously in my lap as I struggle to maintain some semblance of composure. Chaotic is an appropriate word, perhaps not for the evening's events, but rather for the storm of emotions that bubbled inside me most of the evening. The silence stretches on between us, punctuated only by the rhythmic hum of the engine.

"So, I'm going to Melissa's house," I say, realizing that he didn't actually ask where to drive me.

"Yeah, Oliver mentioned it earlier," he replies, his voice trailing off as if lost in thought.

"He did?" I can't help but ask, my brow furrowing in confusion.

"Anyway, I take it you sense our connection as well?" Kian's voice cuts through the silence, casual yet tinged with an edge of curiosity.

His question catches me off guard, leaving me momentarily speechless. Of course, I sense something between us. But trying to put it into words feels like attempting to grasp at smoke – nonphysical and abstract. It's more than mere attraction, though that's certainly part of it. There's a complexity to it, a whirlwind of emotions and thoughts that I struggle to unravel. And amidst it all, there's a nagging sense of unease, like I'm hovering on the edge of something unknown, something that threatens to consume me entirely. It's tiring and I don't know if I have the strength left in me to fight; to fight against whatever is happening right now.