Cover

Chapter Fifteen

Lia

By the time we dress and arrive at Leo's for dinner, I am starving. When we are led to the same corner table we occupied on our last visit, I am shocked to find Rose and Jake already sitting on one side. I whirl to look at Lucian who is smiling in satisfaction. "You said you never see Rose anymore, so I thought this might be a nice surprise." In my heart, I know he wants to show me that even though my mother doesn't give a damn, there are people in my life who do. I throw my arms around his neck, giving him a big kiss in front of everyone in the busy restaurant before turning back to my friends. I slide into the circular booth next to Rose and after a few words with the server; Lucian follows me onto the comfortable seat.

"Girl, where have you been? With you gone from home every night, I've been left with nothing but Jake and his fifteen hands. My hoo-haw is damn near hawed out." Laughter bubbles out of my throat as Jake, instead of being embarrassed, looks strangely proud of himself. Where men are concerned, I would guess being accused of too much sex is hardly an insult. "I need you to come back so I can watch Lifetime and eat a carton of Ben and Jerry's." The wine Lucian ordered arrives, and we all have a glass. I blush as Lucian looks at me before rubbing the rim of his glass. The evil man knows exactly what he's doing to me as I squirm on my seat. As I look away from him, I find Rose giving me a knowing smirk. "If you two are having some kind of silent sex talk, cut it out unless you want to make it a foursome."

I snort my wine up my nose, almost spraying her as I yell, "Rose!" She and Jake laugh, but I have to wonder if part of her statement isn't true. She may have been unnerved by Jake's interest in anal sex, but Rose is far from a prude.

Lucian leans around me, putting an end to any fantasy she may have been entertaining. "I don't share...with anyone." It may just be my imagination, but Rose looks almost disappointed for a moment before rolling out her lip dramatically in a pout.

The rest of the evening is light and fun. Lucian, although far removed from a struggling college student, is charming and at times irreverent. He has Rose and Jake laughing at all his jokes and hanging on his every word. Any fears I may have had about him fitting into my world seem silly; we are all perfectly at ease with each other. When the check comes, he insists on paying, which ensures that he moves into hero status.

We are enjoying our last drink before leaving when the one woman, other than my mother, that I never want to see stops by our table. Monique -Cruella- is wearing a fire engine red dress that fits like a second skin. Aidan walks up behind her, looking at his friend apologetically. "Luc, I didn't know you would be here tonight," he says by way of greeting.

Monique waves her manicured nails around the table, encompassing us all. "It looks like some sort of romper-room meeting. I recognize Lucy, but who are your other little friends, Luc?"

Beside me, Rose mutters, "Is this bitch for real?" I see by the slight twist of Lucian's lips that he also caught her comment. He doesn't bother getting to his feet to make the introductions, which I know is his way of dismissing Monique. Instead, he tightens his grip, pulling me closer before speaking.

"Monique, I believe you remember Lia, and these are our friends, Rose and Jake." He then introduces Aidan who shakes hands with everyone, making polite conversation along the way. Aidan invites us to join them, and I'm relieved when Lucian says we were just finishing our last drink before leaving. His meaning is clear; however, Monique is as tacky and clueless as ever.

"Luc, darling, why don't you come back and join us for the evening after you take the...her home? We were planning to stop by Oasis for a few hours after dinner." Giving me a dismissive look, she adds, "They don't admit anyone under age twenty-one." Lucian finishes his drink, and we slip from the booth before he finally answers her snide comment.