Cover

Chapter Eight

Lia

My last class finishes earlier than normal, and I am stopping by the apartment to change clothes before going back to Lucian's to finish up for the day. To my surprise, his cabinets have been well-stocked as if he actually has meals at his apartment instead of eating out every evening. My plan is to fix a simple dinner of shrimp pasta. Pasta in all forms is something I am well-acquainted with; it is easy, quick, and cheap.

I drop my book bag and walk to my bedroom when a knock sounds at the door. More than likely, it's someone looking for Marissa next door. I have my suspicions as to why she is so popular, but who am I to judge? Several times a week, we have mostly men knocking at our door, looking for her apartment. At first, I wouldn't answer the door when I didn't recognize the person through the peep-hole. After a while, though, it just seemed easier to point them in the right direction to prevent it happening each time they visited. For safety, we always keep the chain firmly in place and speak through the small opening.

Another stranger looks back at me through the small glass, and I shake my head as I crack the door open. "Marissa is next door in 5B."

Before I can shut the door, I hear the person ask, "Miss Adams?" Wow, I so wasn't expecting that; it's a rare day I have visitors.

Uneasy, I reply, "Can I help you with something?"

"Are you Lia Adams?" Well, crap, I don't know whether to answer or not. Curiosity finally gets the better of me.

"Yes, who are you?" I instinctively take the envelope he thrusts through the opening.

"You've been served." I stare after his retreating back, wondering what's going on. The white envelope weighs heavily in my hand as I pull it slowly through the doorway. The university has never hand-delivered mail before. If they suddenly feel the need, then it can't be good news. The only writing on the front is my name in printed form.

I shut the door behind me and carry the envelope like a bomb to our small kitchen table. I drop it in front of me, staring for a moment. Shit, this is so silly. Just open the damn thing and get it over with. What could it possibly be? Maybe I have some seriously-overdue book from the library or something. Impatiently, I rip open the flap and unfold the single enclosed paper. As I skim the official-looking document, I feel my heart stop for one brief moment. No, surely I have read it wrong. Taking my time, I read back through the jumble of words once again before dropping weakly into the nearby chair.

PLANTIFF: MARIA ADAMS DAWSON VS DEFENDANT: JIM NELSON DAWSON. YOU ARE HEREBY SUMMONED to appear. The words on the paper leap out at me as my head swims. I haven't seen or spoken to my mother or stepfather since leaving home four years ago. Dear God, what is going on with them? Why is my mother going to court against her husband, and why am I being dragged into it?

There is only one person who might possibly be able to find out. Debra, my friend and previous boss, has a connection through her boyfriend. Martin's brother Eli works with Jim at a tire factory, or he had the last time I heard. Almost in a panic, I punch in Debra's number and pray she will answer.

"Lia? Where the hell have you been, honey? "This is Debra's usual greeting, and I smile despite my apprehension. I love this woman like the mother I never had, and I know she loves me, as well. Her only complaint is I don't see her as often as either of us would like.

"Hey, Deb. It's so good to hear your voice, you have no idea." She knows me well and immediately picks up on the strain in my voice.

"What's wrong, honey? Do you need me? I can be there in just a few minutes." Closing my eyes, I feel a tear slip out. She gives me everything and never asks for anything in return. I don't see or talk to her as often as I used to, but I know that with one phone call, she would drop what she is doing and come to me.