part twenty-eight

"i was not expecting a full on escort to this kickback." i tell derek as i walk up to him parked in my driveway.

he chuckles, running his hand along his shiny bmw behind him.

"yeah well, i'm a package deal, there's no going anywhere without it." he smiles at me.

i walk over to the passenger side, opening the door to get inside as he sets up the music to play for the drive.

derek told me the little party is being hosted at gale's house, another football player obviously, and that there won't be anymore than maybe ten people there.

he clearly wasn't lying, when we pull up i only see a couple of cars, none of which i recognize. we get out and he meets me in front of the car, lacing his arm around my neck.

i peer up at him before he rings the doorbell. "these guys don't think we're like together right? i'm letting you know right now i just came as your friend derek." i try saying as nice as possible.

he nods his head, laughing lightly at my comment.

"trust me, half the girls here are just girls they found cool enough to bring. me and you haven't even talked since last semester, i don't expect anything out of this, i just fuck with your vibe." he says as he finally rings the bell.

a wave of relief washes over me at the fact that he's not trying to act like something he's not for once.

gale opens the door, dabbing up derek at the sight. he says hi to me and let's us know that everyone's just chilling down in the basement.

i grab ahold of derek's arm as he leads the way, clearly having been here before. we go down and just as said, there's a couple guys with their "dates" siting next to each of them.

i see that there's a bar on one side of the room and a tv on the other. in the middle there's a small coffee table where i see bongs and hookahs set up. rap music blares through the speakers, everyone truly just, you know, chilling.

derek introduces me to all his friends and surprisingly, no one asks if i'm the girl that dated neither nate or hardin, which gives me some sort of relief.

i reach up onto my tippy toes to whisper into derek's ear over the music just to ask him if he wants a drink. he mouths out the word "beer" and i nod as i walk my way over to the mini bar.

i open the see-through fridge, grabbing him his request and a fruity wine cooler for myself.

i smile at the fact that i see snacks scattered around the table as well, me grabbing some doritos.

i eventually return to derek, taking a seat next to him while i munch on my chips and sip my drink. i listen as the guys talk about how they don't have to try as hard with girls anymore.

"all i'm saying is, i can give a random girl a compliment, smile at her, and that's it. scored her number, a date, and probably some ass after." one of the guys, collin to be exact, tells the group.

"and you'd only score her because that's the most you'd do. guys don't put in any effort anymore, so us ladies have to adapt." some girl jumps in, offended at his statement.

"nope i still think it's on the girls. if y'all accept us when we're barely trying, then why would we go full force? exactly, we won't because we don't have to." derek states.