part thirty-one

nate

imessage from maddy
if you didn't wanna go to that movie you couldve said that, I've been waiting for you to call me back for the last FOUR hours nate
12:03am

I groan as I stare at my phone, reading through the last couple messages she's been sending me.

fuck.

imessage to maddy
shit, i forgot
12:06am

i throw my phone across the room, sighing as i lay back on my bed. i hear a door creak open and close quietly making me squeeze my eyes.

shit. my dads in his office.

i really wish i could be anywhere but home right now.

my phone starts going off once again, me assuming maddy'a still going on about how i'm shitty for bailing on her for like the third time this week.

imessage from brianna <3

i smile to myself, forgetting i put that heart there when we were "dating."

imessage from brianna <3
bet no be w maddii, i s2g
12:11am

my brows furrow as i try deciphering what the fuck she's even trying to say before finally realizing.

imessage to brianna <3
where are you? you drunk rn?
12:11am

before she can respond, i click out of our messages, rushing to my instagram. sure enough her name is the first one on my feed for the story post. i click it seeing a picture of her and her friends all staring up, each of them with a white pill laid against the tip of their tongues as they smile.

i huff, angry that she's drugged up, yet again. she shouldn't be going out in public in that kinda condition, especially when she can't defend herself because she's not stable.

imessage to brianna <3
i saw your ig story, you off pills rn? brianna im not playing, where tf you at
12:12am

my leg begins to shake as i wait for her typing bubbles to appear, yet they never show up.

frantically, i rush to call her, her phone going straight to voicemail all of a sudden, as if she just turned it off.

i stand, grabbing some shoes and my keys, rushing out my door.

i stop in my tracks, my dad standing in front of me, not moving.

"son? i think it's time we sit down and have a conversation about the situation at hand here." he says lowly.

my face scrunches as i stare at him, the grip i have on my keys getting tighter.

"i gotta be somewhere." i speak out to him, taking a step forward.

he moves along with me, blocking my path. "look nate we all make mistakes in life. we hurt the ones we love, we let down our friends, our family." he starts.

i step back, sighing while leaning my body against my door frame, letting him speak for once.

"sometimes we do it out of ignorance, and sometimes it's selfishness."

he starts walking towards me once again, making my body back tense up. "look, i'm am not perfect. you know that, but i've spent my life trying to do better. you have not." he sighs, now right in front of me. "but it is my wish for you."

i look away, afraid to make eye contact with him. we don't usually talk like this, interact this much, like ever.

"i don't know how you got out of this situation. i know you didn't deserve to. but you did. and i admire whatever it took. i just hope it didn't teach you the wrong lesson." he ends off by blankly staring into what feels like my soul.

i gulp, my body full of anger. "i gotta be somewhere." i repeat. i push past him, chucking against his shoulder as i continue downstairs, slamming the front door behind me.

once in my truck, i pull out my phone again, dialing brianna's number once again. no answer.

i huff as i punch my steering wheel out of frustration.

fuck.

i stare blankly at my phone, the only messages coming thru are those from maddy still blowing my shit. i think quickly, going to my contacts to find cassie's number.

it only rings twice before she answers.

"hello?" her voice echos through my car speaker, my phone connected.

"you know where brianna's at?" i jump straight to the point, not really wanting to engage in a drastic
conversation.

"the hell? why would i tell you?" she rebuttals.

i don't know if it's cassie's annoying personality or the fact my dad just pissed me off not even five minutes ago but i really can't deal with her shit right now.

"cassie, im not with the bs right now. i'm so deadass, she's not respond-"

"hold on, kat's called me like a million times." she interrupts, the line going blank.

it doesn't take long for her to click back through, this time i can also here kat also on the line.

"wait, kat calm down, what the fuck do you mean she's on a stretcher?"

"cass i don't know, one minute she was cool, the next she's out of it, then she's passed out on the ground." kat speaks fast, panic lingering in her voice.

"like dead on the ground type shit!" bb's voice screams in the background.

i sit up, rushing to turn my car on.

"passed out? how the fuck does she just pass out kat, what the fuck-" i yell through the phone, starting to
drive even though i have no idea where to.

"i-i-i don't know! derek called 911, they're putting her on a stretcher. we're waiting in the car to follow her to the hospital."

"fuck. what the fuck did she take-" i start cursing at everyone on the phone, pressing the gas towards the bowling alley, knowing derek works there.

"na-nate shut up oh my god." cassie yells

"okay, okay, they're leaving for the hospital. we gotta go, cassie call her mom." is the last thing said before kat hangs up, leaving just cassie on the phone.

i slam on my breaks, busting a U in the middle of the road, heading toward the hospital now.

"oh my god, oh my god" cassie shrieks, freaking out.

"hey, listen to me. shut up, calm down and get on the fucking phone with her mom and tell her to go to the goddamn hospital cassie." i yell at her before hanging up.

my hands shake as i press harder on the gas, pushing nearly 100 mph.

my phone dings again, maddy calling, pushing me over the edge as i take it and throw it in front of me as i yell loudly. it hits the dash board, clearly breaking but i don't care. i just need to get to bri.

kinda short because there's only 2-3 more chapters and they're reallyyy long

thanks for coming back even though i've been m.i.a for a year but i plan to finish this one within the week and start the new book for season 2!!