part fifteen

"why so sad? you should be glad i'm this available to meet your new boyfriend, seeming as you didn't even tell me about him." my mom laughs, pulling by the side of the house.

"can't we say i felt sick or something. mom we really shouldn't do this, not now." i try as she gets out the car.

"nope, too late."

i sigh, pushing out the door before meeting her at the front steps. she rings the doorbell, a woman, who i'm guessing is nates mother, opening the door.

"lisa! so glad you and brianna could make it!" she says, stepping aside to let us come in.

she reaches in giving us quick hugs.

"the rest of the family's out back. the food just finished, i'm about to set the table." she tells us as we follow her through the house.

she leads us to the kitchen where through the glass windows you can see three men on the back porch, all standing around the table and grill.

marsha pulls back on the handle, taking us to the covered porch.

"boys, our guest are here." she announces.

nates head turns, coming in eye contact with me. i look away swiftly, holding out my hand to his dad.

"cal, cal jacobs." he shakes my mom and i's hand.

we then meet his other son, aaron. after which, nate hugs against my mom, this now being the second time he sees her.

"so, you ladies have a seat. the meats all ready, i just have to find a plate for it." cal states.

"hon, me and lisa can help bring the rest out." marsha says, her and my mom following him inside.

i run my hand through my hair, shifting it to the other side.

nate sighs, glaring at me.

"you don't have anything to say?" he asks me.

"me? what about you knowing about this whole thing since yesterday morning and not telling me? and it doesn't help that you haven't been at school for two fucking days." i whisper to him, not wanting his brother to hear.

"i told you to fucking call me so we could talk about this. you blew me off." he rebuttals.

"yeah well-"

just then our parents return outside, bringing all the food to the table.

we make our way there, sitting down. i sit next to my mom, nate across from me with his mom beside him, leaving his dad and brother at the end seats of the table.

we say grace and begin passing the dishes around so everyone can get a share.

"so, i must ask, since this was a surprise to my wife and i, how'd you two meet?" cal begins the discussion.

"trust me it was a surprise for me too." my mom chimes in.

i peer up at nate, him already looking at me.

"we met at a party." i speak up.

nate nods. "at mkays, you know, before he went to college." he adds.

"oh how sweet." marsha says.

"and how long have you two been dating?" my mom says, continuing the interrogation.

"uh, i don't know, maybe like two weeks after school started? i think we're at a month now." nate answers.

my mom nods, smiling at him slightly.