part one

brianna

it was the weekend before the start of senior year. mkay was throwing a end of summer party and i knew everyone would be there.

it was all anyone could talk about, including myself, but what's new

"we have to look like, smokin hot tonight bri." cassie instructed from across her room, holding up a long blue dress against her figure.

i stare at her in awe, secretly wishing i had her boobs before i look away.

"ex-fucking-actly. cassie i don't think you understand how serious this shit is."

she turns around swiftly, her brows furrowed with confusion.

"first time i'll be seeing hardin after our breakup and last time you'll be with mkay before he's officially a college boy," i tell her, my eyes going wide.

"i completely forgot about you and hardin! i can't believe he's let it go on this long. what a dick." she says, walking back to her closet to pick up something else.

i think back to hardin, remembering how he's mad at the fact that i took acid last weekend again, after promising him it was a one time thing. i definitely got carried away because i ended up kissing his bestfriend, kyle, right in front of him while i was off the charts high. technically he's just being a caring boyfriend, wanting the best for me, but we've had this discussion multiple times.

he's not going to fucking control me.

i'm not addicted or anything, but i definitely prefer drugs to lighten up my mood instead of having to deal with it myself. i mean they are made to alter your natural state for a reason, might as well put them to use.

"this one. definitely this one. even tho my tits look like i'm a breastfeeding mom." cassie frowns in the mirror, looking at the light blue tank against her body.

i smack my lips, offended that she's even complaining right now.

"i would fucking die for anything above the B cup that i have. suck a dick cass." i laugh at her, making her smile.

you see cassie has been my literal best friend since i've met her on the first day of middle school in sixth grade. we've done every major coming of age event together, including making it to senior year.

i literally couldn't live without her. she knows everything about me as i do her.

"dinner!!" cassie's mom yells from downstairs, getting both of ours attention.

we get up, trailing down quickly to the dinning room table, cassie's mom and her sister lexi joining us.

she sets our plates in front of us, before taking her own seat as she clears her throat.

"so, what's you girls plans for the night?" she asks, already starting to pour her glass of wine.

"we're just going to hang out with some friends." cassie tells her mother, looking over at lexi quickly, hoping she hasn't told their mother anything about the party.

"would one of those friends happen to be your boyfriend?"

i almost choke on my food, making me start to cough.

ok let's get one thing straight, cassie and mkay were not going out, yet. they've just been talking recently and her mom accidentally met him when he was leaving her house from a quick study date and she basically forced him to stay for dinner.

"mom, he's not my boyfriend!" cassie rushes in, a smile on her face from watching me almost die with laughter.

just then there's a knock on the door, lexi excusing herself to go open it, considering no one else bothered to move.

"hey, rue!" i can hear lexis high pitch voice from around the corner, my eyes going wide.

no fucking way. rue bennett here in the flesh.

lexis footsteps trail up the stairs before their mom calls out to rue.

"hey rue, how was rehab?" she asks bluntly, the wine clearly affecting her.

"mom!" cassie whispers at her insensitive words.

rue nods over to us, acknowledging our presence.

"uh, it was good." she states, with no details whatsoever.

"how long you been back?"

rue glances over at me before looking back to cassie's mom. "five days."

i turn back forward in my seat, not having anything to say to rue. there was a point when we use to be really close, but after her overdose we lost contact, ya know with her going to rehab and shit.

of course that's not the only reason we've stopped talking, problems arising way before that. i guess you can say that was the cherry on top of the ending to our friendship.

i hear her mom go on to ramble to rue about cassie seeing mckay, cass correcting her once again that he's not her boyfriend.

i don't zone back in until i hear lexi come back, handing rue something. "here's that eyeliner you asked to borrow." she tells her, holding it out.

"thank you." rue says with a sincere face.

i know what's going on and it's clear rue's habits haven't changed. my heart goes out for her, thinking once she got help she'd stop, but i'm clearly wrong.

i sigh before digging at my plate, rue leaving before regular conversation comes back up over dinner.