c.33

James is loving the stupid faces I'm making at him. My next feat is duck lips and crossed eyes, with a bit of tongue poking out. Giggling to his heart's content while standing on my lap, James holds my cheeks in his hands and leans forward to bite my nose.

      "Argh! Baby bite!" I yell and pull my nose away, only to bury it in his chest.

      James squeals and laughs even harder, tugging on my hair to try and get me to stop. Eventually getting breathless, I sit back on the settee and smile at the child, who's also taking his sweet time in calming down.

      The clock on my phone tells me it's almost ten in the night. With a nervous glance to the front door, I bite my lip. This afternoon left Adrian messed up when he went to work and he hasn't contacted anyone since then. And now, he's running late. 

      He can look after himself, I tell myself. I can't go after him like that, especially after what happened with Cynthia and Sue. Now that my time here is limited, I'm trying my best to cram in as much time as I can with James.

      It's because of him that I know Adrian. Our love for him brought us together in some way and there's no way I won't acknowledge that. As well as meeting Adrian, getting to know a child in this way has been the most riveting experience in my life.

      I've never had much work with children and I am an only child in my family so coming across kids has been something that isn't as common in my life. So when James suddenly popped out of nowhere, I never thought I'd become so attached.

      Twitching my nose in discomfort of my feelings, I place a kiss on the baby's cheek, which obviously leads to him babble indignantly and rub it off. For such a young human, he is awfully adamant. Like father, like son.

      The two of us quieten down as sleep overtakes us. The couch just got ten times comfier so I shuffle into the crook of the armrest and rest my head on the back of the cushion while James gets snug in my arms. Softly humming to myself, my head gets cradled by the plush and soon, my eyelids close and I drift off to a miniature sleep.

      A gentle shake of my shoulder breaks me from my nap. Still hugging James to my stomach, I straighten myself on the couch and see Portia standing over us with a fond grin on her face.

      "Do you want to go to bed, Liz?" 

      At her question, I bring myself into focus and rub my eyes so I can get a clear glance at the time. It's spot on midnight. 

      "Is Adrian back?" I ask groggily.

      Portia's face falls as she avoids my gaze and shakes her head softly. I suck in a sharp breath and feel the panic rising to my throat. In my arms, James shifts in his sleep but stays in it, slumbering peacefully. 

      "Portia, could you stay with him in the nursery tonight?" I ask as she leans down to pick him up carefully.

      She nods but looks at me with worry. "What about you?"

      I wave off her concern with an assuring smile and get up to stretch the sleep from my limbs.

      "I'm just going to wait for Adrian. Don't worry about me."

      "Are you sure, Liz?"

      "Of course. Thanks, Portia," I place a thankful hand on her shoulder and she smiles before heading behind the couches to the nursery. I stare at James, whose head lolls aimlessly on Portia's shoulder as she walks. A wistful smile comes on my face as I wipe away the sleep and tears from my lashes again.