c.24

Staring at my decked up reflection, I button up my V neck silk shirt, an old gem I've had since I turned twenty. It might be old but I love this shirt to bits and, luckily, it fits me perfectly fine, having that fashionable baggy look.

      Once my clothes are covered, I eye the mess of blonde hair on my head. What am I going to do with it? It looks perfectly fine just sitting on my shoulder but something inside me wants me to go the extra mile to impress him.

      I vividly remember the times I had my hair up; Adrian would always point it out, either with a tease or some neutral comment. It might mean he likes me having my hair up. Sticking with that decision, I grab a hair tie and gather up my hair. Neat doesn't fit the bird's nest on my scalp so I don't bother to try and tame it. Besides, having it messy looks good on me.

      I tie it into a semi high ponytail and pull out two locks on both sides of my forehead to highlight my light bangs. With my nails, I ruffle them up and continue doing so until I'm satisfied they look appropriate.

      When I'm officially done, I take a step back to admire myself. Yes, I made the right choice to tuck my shirt into my high waist grey jeans. If I hadn't, I might look like a hippie hobo. For one final touch, I scrunch up my sleeves until they rest around my elbow.

      I don't bother too much with make-up; just a touch of light lipstick and eyeliner is enough for me. Just for a bit of colour, I pinch my cheeks. There, now I'm ready.

      I unlock my phone and glance down at the text message Adrian sent me thirty minutes ago.

Adrian: works done so get ready. ;)

      The fact that I got ready in such short time is no surprising feat for me. It's a talent I have; no matter what I have to do to get ready, I end up spending no time at all and end up looking hot. I smile to myself and head downstairs.

      "You look fancy," Portia says in a singsong voice as I take a seat on one of the couches.

      "Thank you, I couldn't resist wearing this shirt," I pinch it in my fingers and look down at it fondly. It's a dark green and even after all these years, it's so soft and comforting to the touch. I can feel the static prickling my stomach.

      "Wiz!" James looks up from the play mat he's seated on, shaking his maraca and Mr Zebra.

      "James!" I yell back, just as enthusiastically. Leaning over, I rest my elbows on my knees and bend over to place a kiss in his hair. He shakes his head and laughs, using Mr Zebra to get rid of the soppy gesture.

      "Do you know where you're going?" Portia tilts her head at me. She has a magazine in her hand but it falls limp onto her lap as she regards me with a sparkling smile.

      "No," the question sparks my curious nature. Where are we going?

      "Knowing Adrian, it's going to be someplace lovely."

      Excitement brews in my chest. "Yeah?"

      She nods with her own excited grin.

      Someone behind us clears a gruff throat and catches all of our attention. I twist around in my seat and my lips twitch up into a large grin with I see Adrian leaning against one of the marble pillars, his hands in his pocket and head tilted to the side.