c.20

The first word that pops into my head is magnificent. Just upon entering the building, I'm taken aback by the massive chandelier that hangs in the middle of the domed ceiling. It's not your average sized diamond masterpiece, no, it must be at least ten times bigger than that. Its lights strike off the heads of the crowd inside, sparkling on women's jewellery and men's cufflinks.

      "Jesus," I gasp as we enter the throng of finely dressed people. The odd butler glides past, bearing either a tray of champagne flutes or hors d'oeuvres. One promptly stops near us and offer us a neat arrangement of spirit. Adrian picks up two flutes and dismisses the butler with a nod.

      "How are you so far?" Adrian asks, his voice quiet so only I can hear him among the vibrant chatter. He hands me one of the drinks, holding the other to his chest.

      "I'm fine. Overwhelmed but fine." I laugh shakily and accept the glass. Bubbles float from the bottom of the crystal as I swirl the champagne in the flute before taking a tiny sip. 

      It almost tastes like sparkling water, except it's a bit sour. I lick my lips and savour the taste; it isn't half bad. Perhaps a little too rich for my middle class taste buds. 

      Taking a glance around, I clear my throat. "Why are we here?"

      Adrian straightens his posture and looks around the hall, giving a forced smile when he needs to. 

      "I'm acquainted with the mayor," he explains, "and this event is hosted in honour of his new agricultural project in Pennsylvania that I'm funding."

      I blink at him. "Why would the mayor want funds?"

      "He doesn't. He just wants certain people sponsoring his project so he can brag."

      "And you're okay with that?" I scoff and take another sip.

      "More publicity for me." Adrian smirks as he brings the rim of his flute to his lips. 

      A flock of old women come cluttering towards us, their heels syncing as they echo across the shining tiles. I snort at their identical nature and Adrian does his best to master his poker face, even if he also finds the sight amusing.

      "Adrian Raines!" One woman chirps.

      "We're glad you made it," another says, a pearly white smile adorning her stretched face.

      "It's my pleasure, ladies." He says charmingly as he bows his head curtly.

      "We heard about your wife," Lady number three says dejectedly but I get the feeling that it's not entirely bad news to her.

      "Yes, we are immensely sorry." Lady number one pats his arm sympathetically.

      He hums and forces a strained smile at the ladies' unauthentic condolences.

      "We see you're here with someone...?" Lady number one cocks her head to the side, staring at me with inquisitiveness flashing in her eyes.

      "Elizabeth James, ma'am, nice to meet you," I introduce myself politely, extending a feminine hand.

      "Jean Oliver, darling," Lady number one smiles sweetly and it seems to be slightly genuine, if not curious. She takes me hand softly.

      "How do you two know each other?" Lady number two asks excitedly, fishing for gossip. Classic old ladies.

      The warmth of a hand snakes around my waist and Adrian pulls me to his side with a smirk.