c.21

The soft AC blows through the vents inside the Lamborghini. It's very calming as we sit in the traffic of a late Saturday night. Red brake lights shine for as far as the eye can see so I can't predict when we will be home at this point.

      Next to me, Adrian sits behind the wheel quietly. Keeping his foot on the clutch, he shifts the gear and kills the engine. We've been stuck in this avenue for about ten minutes now so it's irrelevant to waste petrol by keeping the car running. 

      We had left the event sated and happier than when we arrived. On the balcony, we had both managed to lift a huge weight off our chests and now, as we sit in silence, it stretches comfortably, the earlier awkwardness now non-existent. 

      I still remember the feel of his lips on mine. It was kind of impulsive of me to have grabbed his face like that but the waiting was torturing me. We both wanted the same thing so I don't regret it. Subconsciously, I bring a hand to my lips and trace them softly as I look out the window. A light smile graces my features as I recall his hands wrapped tightly around me. I felt safe. Wanted.

      Nonchalantly, I cast my gaze at Adrian, who is zoned out on the road ahead of him. He must be deep in thought too. A soft chuckle escapes into the air as I inspect his oblivious pout and wide eyes. The sound brings him out of his head and he turns to me, a small smile appearing on his face.

      "Lost in thought?" I tilt my head to the side, wearing my goofy grin.

      "You're to blame." He mumbles through his casual smirk as he pulls a lever on the bottom of his seat to tilt it back a few degrees. Once he's gone back far enough, he gets rid of his seatbelt and brings his arms over his head, stretching.

      "Oh, my sincerest apologies," I feign a quivering lip and mock my shame, my lip curling up at the corner.

      Adrian can't fight the laugh he lets out so he shakes his head and moves to the little bowtie wrapped neatly around his neck. It's very well done; perhaps a little too well done because he fiddles with it for a while, unable to unravel the wrap.

      "Need some help?"

      He opens his mouth with furrowed eyebrows but then he relaxes and stops mid-way. Instead of words, a devilish smirk widens his cheeks as his arms drop onto his lap. Eagerly, he sits up on his seat and leans forward.

      "Yes please."

      Sensing his little plan, I chuckle and unbuckle my belt, twisting on my seat to tend to his bowtie. My fingers start working away at the fabric, trying to find the loosest end to tug on.

      "I'm surprised you didn't get all cocky and go," I cough, adapting a deep voice, "I can do it myself. Adrian Raines doesn't need help from anyone. Grrr."

      Adrian frowns at my poor impersonation. "I don't sound like that."

      "Yes you do." I grin innocently and continue messing with the tie.

      He scoffs. "Why do it myself when I have a pretty little woman to do it for me?" Adrian shows off his pearly whites. He looks so young and childish, like a menacing school boy trying to get out of detention.

      "Pretty little woman, huh?" I purposely tug a little too roughly, jerking him forward and startling him.

      "Jesus, Liz," he groans, bringing up a hand to the back of his neck. "I didn't know you were into that." 

      I frown, bemused, until I understand what he is talking about. My eyes widen and he laughs at the reaction, his eyes crinkling by the sides.