c.28

I multitask by buttoning up my shirt as I'm heading down the stairs. Taking my sweet time, I place a foot on each step while admiring my brand new sandals. Adrian said it was an early birthday present but I'm still sceptical to that.

      Once I'm on the ground, Adrian checks his watch and claps his hands together. "Ready?"

      I give him a nod and roll up my sleeves; the pain of wearing long sleeved shirts in the early summer. Portia stands by with James in her arms and he looks sleepier than usual. Even though, his maraca and Mr Zebra are still intact in his grip. 

      "Are you sure we can't bring James with us?" I ask, pitying the fact that James rarely gets to see the outside world.

      Adrian's face twists in annoyance at my question.

      "I don't want to bring you, let alone James, after what happened, Elizabeth." He shakes his head, messing up his curls. I sigh deeply and place a gentle kiss on James' cheek. He doesn't bother wiping it off, instead he gives me a sleepy smile before cradling his head deeper into Portia's neck.

      "Take care, Portia," I hug the woman, who gives me a determined pat on the back in return.

      "You two will be fine." She grins wholeheartedly.

      Adrian is already out of the house so I give her one last wave before following in his footsteps. On the driveway, a white Audi SUV stands proudly, the sun blinding on its paintjob. It's almost like a bulky truck!

      Thankfully, I'm able to get my own door, much to Adrian's displeasure, and I climb in. It's a pretty big height difference from the seat to the ground so I hold onto the handle above the door while stepping inside.

      Once I'm in, I go to close the door but Adrian does it for me. I blink, startled, and he smiles innocently through the window. A laugh builds up in my chest but I clear my throat and push it down.

      "You never told me you had a brother," I say when Adrian has us whipping down the motorway. 

      "I guess he wasn't important enough to mention." Adrian smirks and shifts his gear, speeding up. We're reaching eighty miles per hour and I'm loving the speed and the smooth tarmac of the long road ahead.

      We're going to pick Adrian's brother up from the airport. Adrian is pretty dry on the details but then again, he was never one to spill everything all at once. 

      "Come on, tell me more about him! I don't want to meet him like a stranger,"

      Adrian rolls his eyes. "What do you want to know?"

      "What's his name?"

      "Tyler,"

      "Is he older or younger?"

      "Older."

      I raise a surprised eyebrow at him.

      "By five years," he explains and flexes his grip on the steering wheel. 

      "An older brother and you never told me," I fold my arms across my chest and click my tongue disapprovingly. "That's low."

      "Stop attacking me like this," Adrian snaps with amusement dancing in his tone.

      I can't resist a chuckle. "Okay, okay. Relationship status?"

      Adrian head twists over, eyeing me with the most irritated expression. I fight to stop myself from laughing because I'm sure it would piss him off further.