c.3

The rain lashes against the car window in a series of comforting noises. It's soothing to the ear, especially when my head is resting against the chilled tinted glass. As I sigh, a fog mists over, obscuring my vision more than the tint does.

      In my arms, the baby boy is still in his slumber but I don't think it will last for too long. He should be waking up in a few minutes. I softly brush aside a part of the blanket that covers his face to allow him more free air to breath. He twists his head slightly and nuzzles into my bicep. I can't help but smile.

      Beside me, the infant's grumpy,overly moody father broods, gazing out through the rain littered window. Even by his side profile, I can tell he is still roughed up by the circumstances.The sharp cut of his jaw is clenched and the corner of his mouth is tight,complementing his furrowed eyebrows.

      Feeling my burning stare, I presume, he turns his head of damp brown curls to face me with narrowed eyes that shine every time we drive past a streetlamp. Matching his composure, I frown, shrugging my shoulders and adjusting the little child in my arms.

      "Does he have a name?"

      I am thrown by the gentleness in his simple question. I wasn't expecting him to talk to me until we reached wherever we were going. 

      "Not that I know of, no." I reply softly.

      Somewhat being simultaneously satisfied and unsatisfied by my answer, he sighs and sniffles. His nose is runny,probably from being out in the rain.

      The change of terrain catches me by surprise. The wet crunch of gravel underneath us makes me look forward. Our driver weaves through a low slope of assorted pebbles. It looks very well maintained. Rows of tall, pear shaped trees line the path and they flash past us as we continue.

      We take a soft right and a large estate home comes into view. It's almost palatial in size and appearance. Two wide pillars, either marble or ceramic, support the extended front of the roof  and the entrance is shown off by bushes of wild roses. My eyebrows shoot up in surprise at the beautifully kept house. Mansion— whatever it is.

      Our valet halts beside the main entrance. The car continues to run on its ignition, its headlights blaring in front. The man whose name I still don't know turns to me.

      "Wait here," He says gruffly before opening the car door and stepping out into the rain. He closes it behind him and I'm blinded, unable to see too far through the tinted window. 

      My gaze flutters down to the child.He stirs slowly, lifting his arms up and splaying his tiny fingers on my chin.I lean into his grasp and watch as he garbles various small noises that challenge the sound of the pouring storm. 

      I sigh. "What am I going to do with you?

      The opening of the door distracts me from the waking infant. The man is back but this time, he has a large umbrella open above him, finally sheltering him from the rain. He beckons me with a wave of his hand. I gently shuffle along the seat and he steps back but makes sure the canopy covers me. 

      Before stepping out, I make sure the blanket properly shields the child, who coos at my hasty gestures. I hush him quietly and climb out, with great difficulty, and allow the man to close the door. As soon as he does, the Benz whisks off and he leads me towards the main doors that flood out warm light. 

      The baby croons and catches his father's attention. He stares at the child with doe eyes, shining with wonder and a hint of genuine happiness. I observe his sudden change in behaviour; he visibly relaxes, as if he's glad the child is responsive and fine.