c.29

The slow tingle sprinkling over my limbs tells me I'm awake. Last night was a fantastic sleep, judging by how I'm entangled in my pillow and bed sheet. I stretch across the mattress and goggle at the empty spaces next to me. Both Adrian and James are missing. 

      I rub my eyes and as soon as I reach for my phone, it alerts my wind chime ringtone. It's so soothing, it almost puts me back to sleep. Remembering that someone is calling me, I sit up on the bed and answer the mobile, lazily holding it up to my ear.

      "Hello?"

      "Happy birthday, Lizzie!" My mom's voice blasts through the speaker and almost buzzes my ear off.

      Oh. It's my birthday!

      Suddenly excited, I grin to myself and rub my nose. 

      "Thanks mom, of course you were going to be the first to wish me."

      "Good to know I beat your dad to it," she says slyly before giggling.

      "I bet he's trying to call," I laugh as I push my sheets aside and throw my legs over the edge of the bed.

      "Too bad, finder's keepers."

      I gasp. "I'm not an object, mom!"

      "You know I didn't mean it like that, honey," she chuckles heartily. "So, what are you going to do today?"

      Eyeing the empty space behind me, a little smirk curls up on my lip.

      "I have no clue."

      "What's that supposed to mean?" I can hear her frown through the speaker.

      "I don't know, I'm just going to stay inside,"

      "Where's the fun in that?" She says incredulously. "Get together with those friends of yours!"

      "We don't really keep in touch unless it's social media," I mumble, picking at my sweatpants.

      She pauses, letting a small silence settle before speaking again, "What about that young man, hmm? Does he know it's your birthday?" 

      Her teasing tone makes me blush as Adrian props up in my head. 

      "He knows," I bite my lip.

      "Oh, Lizzie, I don't know anything about him but by the change of your tone, I can tell you're smitten."

      "Mom!" I whisper-yell, wide eyed.

      She laughs through the receiver and I smile, knowing full well she can't see me and taking advantage of that.

      "Anyway, I have a little surprise."

      I perk up.

      "It's not confirmed but I thought of flying in near the end of May to pay you a visit," she says happily.

      My heart rate quickens at the news. A wide grin comes on my face as I bounce up from the bed, standing to my full height.

      "Really?"

      "Really. You'll be free, right?"

      My excitement ebbs away when I remember what sort of situation I'm in. I'm not even at home; hell, I've been looking after my boyfriend's child. I flush at my thoughts.

      "Of course, mom, I'm always free for you," I force a joyful tone, smiling to convince myself.

      "Alright, hun, I'll sort out the details and get back to you." She adds quietly. I'm not sure if I pulled off my fake emotions. It's hard to hide anything from her.