Chapter Twenty Nine

Word Count: 1743

~Rosie

I lie on my side, back to Time.

He stands in the doorway to the bedroom I have just been allocated, watching me. I'll admit, this lavish estate within the clouds above the city keeps getting better, starting with this room. The walls may be a powdery pink colour, with creamy white trim and furniture to match, but it's got a big bed and has a door. It's enough to keep me sated.

Time isn't going to return me. It's no use being upset over it, but it doesn't mean I have to pay him any mind. I'll spend all my time in this room until he gets bored of me and takes me back. Even if that means I have to deal with his persistent annoyance.

"If not talking to me is your strategy, I can tell you now it's not going to work very well," he announces, to which I roll my eyes. Thankfully he can't see that.

Time waits patiently for a response which doesn't come.

"We could make this a little more fun and talk," he offers. His voice is closer, suggesting he has stepped into the room. My skin prickles at the thought. He may be my mate technically, but everything about this is wrong. Fate didn't intend for this when Time and I were paired together. He is a part of his life that I shouldn't be involved in just yet.

The bed sinks down, as he sits at the end of it, compelling me to make a move, but I refrain. "Come on Rosie. I thought you weren't afraid of me."

"I'm not afraid of you. But if you're going to keep me here against my will, I'm going to be as insufferable as possible," I mutter into my pillow, refusing to face him and give him my full attention. He places his hand on my calf, making me flinch. My face flames red hot in response.

"Maybe I can change that."

"If you think you're going to kiss me, all you're going to end up with is a bruised ego and a bruised eye. The perfect match," I tell him, leaning back to look at him. He smiles softly at me, clearly amused by my retort. I'm not here to be pleasant, or kind. The moment he realises that, he will hopefully find no use for me.

"I like you a lot," he tells me. How can he like me if he doesn't even know me? Surely, he's playing with my emotions. "Actually, I was going to invite you out and show you one of my favourite eating spots. Maybe we could have a little chat about our future."

I think about that for a moment. Going out, in public, where I have the ability to get the attention of someone and hopefully get help.

It sounds exactly like what I need.

"I'll consider your offer if you stop saying our," I mumble, pulling myself up into sitting position. "And to set things straight, the only thing we are going to be talking about is you taking me back to where we came from. Got it?"

"I think we will have a lot more to discuss than just that," he tells me, giving me a wink that makes me shiver. We'll see about that.

***

I'm not displeased about where he has taken me. We are right in the middle of the city, in a small, intimate café. No one has taken a single notice of me and Time, suggesting he's using a glamour to conceal his identity. I'm not bothered though. We take a window seat, looking out onto the cobblestone streets outside, breathing in the fragrant scent of peonies in a crystal vase in front of us. I hate that I feel calm here. Safe, even.

"This is so quaint and pleasant considering who I'm here with," I murmur, looking out at the people who pass us by, all blissfully unaware of my capture. I could scream right now, and accuse Time of all sorts of crimes, but I don't need him take me somewhere else in time out of fear, or hurt anyone in this café.