Chapter Twenty Two

Word Count: 1613

~Rosie

There's a cold silence in the room.

When I turn to look at Time beside me, his face is cold and stony, clearly not enjoying having to relive this moment. It's even plummeted my heart into my stomach, and I'm not the one being broken up with for my brother. I can't even begin to imagine how he must feel, having invested so much time into her for her to turn around and tell him something as heartbreaking as this.

The Time currently living in this situation has lost all colour in his face, a flutter of confusion crossing his forehead. Quite frankly, he looks betrayed. I want. To reach out and slap that girl, or shake her. Why would she be with him in the first place if that isn't what she truly wanted?

"I don't understand. You're in love with Thought?" He questions, voice quivering nervously. The sound bites at my heart, but I shake that feeling off.

I know this is to make me feel sorry for Time. Quite honestly it's working.

Amaris sits up, pushing the covers off her body. It looks like she is going to lean over and comfort the puzzled immortal beside her, but instead, she hops out of the bed, looking around for proper clothes. I watch Time stars at her from the bed, still confused on why his lover suddenly dropped this bomb on him, and won't stick around to talk about it with him. Instead, she moves around the room, shoving clothes on at the same time.

"I'm sorry, okay. I was planning to tell you, but you wanted to go on this trip, and I didn't know how to tell you," Amaris explains, wiggling into a pair of jeans. "I'm going to leave, and I'll never come near you again, I promise. Just please don't do anything to hurt me."

The girls soft, genuine pleas seem to come as a surprise to Time, who furrows his brow, almost looking disgusted. "You think I would hurt you?"

"I don't know," she replies.

"I would never hurt you...You always told me you weren't afraid of my abilities," Time comments. Amaris still looks skeptical, and for once, I side with her. Time does have abilities that are beyond fathomable, and oftentimes are frightening. If I were to cross him in a way as bad as she did, I would be scared for my life too. Who knows what kind of torture he can provide.

But of course, that's the only way in which I can at all understand where she is coming from. I may not want to be with Time for all the implications it involves, but I would never pull something like this...No matter what there is to see in the future.

"I'm sorry, okay? I really am. I didn't mean to hurt you," she comments.

"But why? How did this happen?" Time questions, still sitting in the bed, looking dumbfounded. When I glance over at the Time standing beside me, I notice he doesn't look angry, or mad at Amaris. He just looked pained, still struggling with this memory despite the fact that this happened so many years ago. Clearly she has been the most important part of his life, and she betrayed in such a horrible, unforgiving way.

Amaris stops as she pulls on her shoes. "I can't explain it. I met Thought and I knew immediately that I had feelings for him. I couldn't control the way I felt around him, and when I started to talk to him, I realised that he feels the same way as me."

Time closes his eyes for a moment, and releases a sigh. "You know what kind of immortal he is. He is powerful too, you know. How do you know he didn't manipulate you through your mind to make you feel these tings?"

Amaris looks offended. "He wouldn't do that."

"You don't know that. You don't know my brother like I do. He would do something like this to hurt me", Time says. I'm unsure of whether he is truly trying to protect her or whether he is saddened by her leaving him, and wants to do anything to convince her to stay. It doesn't seem likely that the latter is true, but the desperate look on his face is starting to convince me otherwise.