Chapter 13

____________________________________

Jade finds the strength to take back control of her being. Her heartbeat slows down as she lets out a breath she wasn't aware that she was holding in.

She clutches the phone against her chest as she pivots on her heels to face the concrete path before her. A stupid grin sneakily tries to devour her face as she puts her head down, trying to conceal her own giddiness at the thought of the half-naked football player.

She starts walking lackadaisically to the parking lot, legs crossing one another.

Jade doesn't realize she's made it to the parking lot until an obnoxious honk sounds to the right of her. It, of course, is her sister Melanie looking beyond impatient as she puts the window down and sticks her hand out, waving at her younger sibling through the windowless door.

"What the fuck was taking you so long?" She hollers at her baby sister who doesn't make a move to speed up towards the awaiting vehicle. She takes her sweet time to cross the parking lot to make it to the glossy golden-beige car. There are very few cars in her path as it's nearing way beyond school hours. The uniquely colored car stands out tremendously among the bouts of simple colored cars.

Jade finally steps up to the car and yanks open the passenger side door. The younger doesn't have to face her sister to notice the annoyed expression on her face, but she doesn't mind it since she only assumes that it's Melanie's time of the month.

"Who pissed in your bowl?" Jade inquires as she settles into the comfortable seating of the car and pulls her seatbelt over her body.

"I rather have that," Melanie simply huffs looking off to the side.

Jade looks over at her sister, cautiously. Melanie seems off to her. Her normally together and straightened hair is swept up into a real messy bun. Like that thing atop her head looks more like a nest of hair. Her eyes look red as if she were crying just seconds before Jade had gotten into the car.

"Mel, you good?" Jade tentatively reaches out to her sister, rubbing up and down her arm. Melanie looks forward like she is in a daze. Then, she motions for the key in the ignition and takes it out, shutting off the engine of the car.

"Jade, shit's not alright," Melanie finally confesses, eyeing Jade up and down.

Jade's heart begins palpitating before the rest of her can react to what Melanie says. "What? Are mom and dad okay?"

Melanie expels a sudden growl of frustration as she delicately places her forehead against the steering wheel, closing her eyes.

"I think... I think dad's cheating on mom?" Melanie admits, a grave tone hidden beneath her high-pitched voice. Her forehead remains pressed up against the steering wheel as strands of her brown hair unorderly spill out of the thin hair tie.