8. The Great Escape

"Over my dead body." I snarl.

"That can be arranged." Aella pipes up, watching the little showdown between Zero and I with a glint of amusement in her eyes.

"That will not be arranged." Zero snaps, sending a scathing glare at Aella who shrugs. 

To think this whole fiasco only started two minutes ago, when Aella had casually mentioned the idea of taking me on a tour around the territory. 

Zero had excitedly jumped at idea, not paying any attention to my adamant refusal to go, and since then we've been locked in a heated argument, the brutal silent treatment I planned to give him completely forgotten. 

"I don't see why the human's making such a big fuss over it." Aella comments giving me a sideways look.

"That 'human' can hear you and doesn't want to go. That's final." I retort, pulling my knees up against my chest from where I sit against the wall, Zero slowly inching forward only to pause every time I catch him and glare.

Aella scoffs, and my eyes dart to her, only to dart back to Zero to see he's crossed a large amount of distance and is now crouching about a yard away from me, his silver eyes stopping me from yelling or jolting in surprise.

"Ashie," He breathes and is it me, or did his eyes just gleam? "Please."

"No, no, no." I say, shaking my head to banish the thoughts and keep myself from getting entrapped in his eyes again."You don't get to call me that. Ashie is an off limits name, especially since you know my real name."

"But Ashie," He says again, the name casually rolling off his tongue like it's the most natural thing to say. "It's our  thing."

The way he emphasizes the word 'our' and his huge, almost puppy-like eyes make waves upon waves of deja vu wash over me, sending me back months ago and to Braun island, where to me, Zero was just an oblivious overgrown-child and not the leader of an entire race of unnatural humans. 

"You better stop it right now, Zero." I try to warn in a threatening tone that honestly doesn't sound very threatening at all, watching as he inches even closer which forces me to press up against the wall with all my might.

"But I don't want to." He whines, and my breathing picks up speed.

His face is a foot away. Closer. Half a foot away.

I find it impossibly hard to breathe right now. A rampage of powerful thoughts are going in my head, half of them wanting to shove him away, the other half wanting to make a run for it, and even a small, very tiny part wanting to grab the weapon of Aella's back and start swinging at him like a mad woman.

"While I hate to break the moment all cliche-like," Aella speaks, "We really have to hurry. I postponed the council gathering, but it should be starting in an hour, and if we want to give her a tour, it'd have to be now." She finishes by giving me a pointed look, which I brush off. 

Zero huffs, pulling away and standing while I take the moment to release the breath I'd bee holding. That's when a thought hits me.

"What's the council, Zero?" I ask, the question sliding past my lips casually before I can even think about it. 

Zero whips his head towards me, his eyes looking elated to have me speak to him without anger for the first time. Whoops. 

"The council are the selected people I entrusted to watch after the Kinling's while I was.....away."

He means while he was at Braun island, where he met me. 

Aella clears her throat, nodding to the door again and making Zero let out a low growl.