Epilogue III - Three Words

"Zachary, wouldn't you be a gentleman and send the lady to her car?"

Zack and I looked at each other.

"No, it's okay. I can walk by myself."

"You must not, young lady. Zack." His father, Nouman, called him again.

Looking away for a second, I bet he let out a sigh. "Okay, father." He replied in a low key forced tone and flashed him a flat smile.

The cups he intended to take before were left behind as he walked over to me. The front door was opened, and he let himself walked out first without paying me a glance.

It had been like this since I was arrived. I wasn't ready to be treated like this. Heck, I didn't even ready to see his cold, disappointed face after what happened in the restaurant. But Hayley somehow managed to convince me to at least try.

"Do you love him, Raelyn Youssef?" She asked me seriously.

"I do." I answered without any hesitance.

"Then what, are you doing here? Being all hopeless and distress. This isn't the woman I knew since years ago. You try and you fight. You don't sit around wondering if he wants you because I bet you my soul Raelyn, he still does."

That's pretty much our conversation in the shop, before I decided to drop a visit here.

He stopped in front of my car and I did the same. We stood beside each other. Waiting. This was my only chance to say the right things. He didn't pay any attention to me while we're inside of the house and I doubted he would give any after this.

"Well?" He voiced out impatiently. "You know I can't get inside until you drive your car away from my house, right?"

My heart broke a little. "I'm actually here to talk to you." I said firmly while turned my body to him. 

"I don't want to talk to you." He muttered, still facing ahead.

"The deal was canceled. Ed's changed. We're over completely and now I'm free to marry whoever I want." I concluded everything. "And I hope it's you."

Finally, he looked at me. "So that's it? I'm just a backup plan in case your marriage with someone else is canceled? Wow." He curved a mocking smirk.

"I'm serious, Zack!" I pressed. "I can't imagine living my life with someone else. I don't wanna marry another man. I love you." I finally confessed.

His smirk disappeared and was replaced by a neutral frown on his face. I waited for his answer, but instead he just stared into my eyes as if reading the silent prayers inside my heart.

"Go home, Rae." And just like that, he turned around and entered his house.

If I was broken before, right then I was shattered. The door's closed. I took a deep breath, holding back tears and slowly stepping inside my car.

**

"Yes, mother, I'm going back to hometown this weekend, insyaAllah." I promised her over the phone while my other hand was organizing the books on the shelf.

It was morning, around 10 minutes before our opening time. Me, Hayley and a few workers were still getting ready.

"That's good. I have something to discuss with you." She said.

Her tone made me curious. "What is it, mother?" I asked.

It was silent for a few second, before she finally told me. "A man came and stayed in our house few days ago. He asked for your hand in marriage."