Forty-Five

I looked at myself in the mirror and immediately sat down on the bed. I picked up my skirts and placed my head between my knees, breathing deep. It was the only thing I could do to keep the panic from getting the best of me.

I'd been fine the entire week when it was just Damien and me. I was fine playing the part when it came to signing documents, listening to Asmo's concerns along with Damien or even when Oren had to talk to me about some information concerning the investigation. Damien told me that as Queen I was more of a figurehead, the Council headed by Asmo were the ones to meet and talk to the people and report back to Damien and I.

At the party, I would be in front of others. Presented before the other lords and ladies as their queen.

I breathed in deeply again. My head spinning as a dull thud began to pound my head. The headache had started without me noticing and was progressively getting worse.

While me being queen was only temporary, faeries couldn't resist a party. And when Damien became king again, there would be a party then too.

At least, that's what everyone said.

I saw the party as a celebration. A well-deserved reprieve for everyone involved with Robyn's wretched plans. A victory lap for those who helped finally destroy the monster once and for all. A celebration for finally having Damien back.

All the while, everyone's eyes would be on me. Just about every lord and lady in the Underworld would be there. Including the Grand Council.

I heaved a breath. "Gods above, help me."

At least the dress was comfortable. Not too form fitting not too lose and I was able to hide my Converse sneaker underneath the skirts as long as I didn't lift them too much.

Perri hated it but I wasn't willing to change them.

I straightened as I sat then stood in front the mirror again. I looked at myself in the full-length mirror and swallowed.

I didn't want to glamour my hair long so it only barely graced my shoulders, the front of which was pinned back so it no longer framed my face. Perri had done a great job with my make up, not too much but enough that I did a double take in the mirror. The dress was different shades of blue and purple, the original all black dress was instantly rejected since it brought back too many dark memories.

Robyn had always dressed me in black in my nightmares.

The dress hugged my chest and middle then billowed out at my waist slightly, the tulle cascading in different layers. It was simple with no embroidery, no shimmering fabric save for the sheer gossamer on the neckline.

Someone knocked on the door and after I tore myself from the mirror, I answered it.

I bit my lip when I found Damien standing on the other side of the door. He smiled broadly as he took me in. My cheeks heated as his eyes raked over me.

"But wait," I said quickly. I stuck my foot out from under the dress showing him my shoe.

He laughed. "I knew you'd find a way to make it your own."

He reached forward and placed a hand behind my neck, pulling me into a kiss. When he pulled away, he smiled. "You look beautiful."

I smiled as he pulled away. "Thank you." I looked at his formal attire. "You look great too."

He looked like he was molded from the night. Like shadow and night had converged creating the perfect living specimen standing in front of me. And he couldn't keep his hands off me, could never stop kissing me, couldn't get enough of me.