Fifty-Three

Song: Lovely - Billie Eilish Ft. Khalid

The four queens talked for what seemed like hours.

They really did seem like they were best friends. Anyone could have mistaken them for mid-twenties women catching up on each other's lives during brunch.

Not centuries-old magical faeries with more power than I'd ever felt from anyone else other than Damien.

Eventually, once Rai stated that she wanted to explore the city, they left, wanting to do the same. The queens spectered away and immediately the room became instantly cold. One of the queens had changed the temperature of the outside patio to make it warm and comfortable. It was probably Sili or Rai.

I grabbed my jacket from the back of the chair I was sitting in, put it on and made my way inside with Mehnit close by.

Asmodeus and Oren waited for me where they had been before. Oren was close to the door while Asmodeus leaned against a wall, his arms crossed in front of his chest. As I made my way inside, they followed quietly and it was only once we were in the elevator going back up that Asmodeus spoke.

"Well?"

Placing my hands on the rail on the back of the elevator, I leaned my back against it. As kind as the queens were, I still had a lot of tension throughout the meeting. I finally released it with a heavy sigh. "There is no threat. It was a false alarm."

When I looked over at Asmo, I watched him release his own sigh of relief. His shoulders loosened and he shut his eyes as he leaned against the elevator wall behind him too.

I nudged him with my heel. "Worry-wart," I teased.

His shoulders shook as he let out a small laugh. I'd never seen Asmo so happy. "What a relief."

Oren smiled. "Alteaza, would you like to visit the city as well? All of the other courts will be doing it."

I shook my head. "No. I can't. I--" I shook my head again. "There's too much going on. There are things I need to figure out." I swallowed. "I need to talk to Damien."

Oren nodded. "We can begin preparations to leave as soon as you like."

I smiled at him as the elevator stopped. "Do you want to see the city? I can stay in my room while you all do."

Asmo shook his head. "That's not possible. We won't be leaving your side."

I sighed heavily. "You should, Asmo. When was the last time you took a break?"

He only raised an eyebrow. "We won't be leaving our queen in a hotel alone in Paris to sightsee, Emylin. Don't be ridiculous."

I rolled my eyes as the elevator stopped on our floor making Oren laugh.

He led us to the room as Asmo and I continued to bicker.

"I'm not being ridiculous, Asmo. I don't need to go with you. Everyone's been working really hard lately. You need to go enjoy yourself sometimes. Besides, how often have you been in Paris?"

"Often enough. I don't care to see it if it means leaving you here alone."

I groaned as Oren began to open the door for me. Mehnit sprinted inside as soon as she could fit in the door. "Fine, I'll go. I just need to find something low-key in my bags."

"And warm, it's pretty cold outside."

I shrugged my jacket off as I crossed the threshold of the room. "Nag, nag, nag. Gods, Asmo, is that all you do?"

I froze as I made it inside and noticed a lone figure sitting on the small couch of the suite I'd been occupying.

Damien sat on the couch, scratching Mehnit behind the ears as she sat on his lap. She purred as he did, tilting her head this way and that so he could reach better. He didn't seem to mind if she got his hair on his black pants and shirt.