Sixteen

We were going to set out the next morning right after dawn.

I changed into clothes similar to what Naida had dressed me in the day before when walking through the woods. The black training clothes were out of the question since I didn't know what the weather would be like. Grey sweatpants or jeans (my usual attire) were also not what I could wear for the sake of fitting in and not getting attention drawn to myself. Instead, I wore dark greens and brown with matching knee-high boots. It was comfortable enough to walk in before and I hoped that it would hold true for our walk.

Julian had told me to pack the bag I would find when I got back to my room. There was a small embroidered bag the size of a small backpack on one of the chairs. The bag was magic. It didn't matter what I packed or how much I packed, it didn't get any bigger than a small backpack and wouldn't get heavier either.

"Amazing," I murmured looking inside the dark bag. I couldn't see anything at all. "What if I need my toothbrush?"

The toothbrush came flying out so fast I was sure that it'd stab me in the eye if I didn't move on time. I figured it as how I could get my stuff out once I called for it.

I picked it up off the floor where it landed and made my way downstairs where Naida stood in the entrance hall.

She didn't look mad anymore, though I could sense that she was upset.

She did give a small smile as our eyes met back in the hall. "You're getting used to faerie fashion, Emmy. Fantastic choice."

I placed a hand on her shoulder as soon as I reached her. "Is there anything I can do?"

She shook her head, knowing what I meant. "I was able to send him a warning. A secret letter." She shook her head. "But it's not enough. I'm sure he will have a lot of questions. If he comes, the guards will know he's been warned." She sighed. "I don't know what to do."

I wanted to say more to comfort her, to help her like she had helped me once. I was about to tell her just that when Julian spectered into the room.

He was dressed in dark travel clothes of his own, a dark jacket for the cold I imagined, boots and thick pants.

He turned to me. "Are you ready?"

I crossed my arms. "Yes, but only if we stop at the Frozen City."

Julian rolled his eyes and turned to Naida. "Conspiring against me?"

Naida opened her mouth to speak but I interrupted, "No, it was my idea."

He didn't look convinced. He raised an eyebrow. "Your idea?"

I nodded. "Yes. It's the least I could do after what she did for me in Robyn's mansion."

Julian opened his mouth then shut it. He looked at his sister. Naida only looked at him with a little hope in her eyes.

Finally, he nodded and Naida let out a long breath, her solemn mood replaced with a small smile.

"But only after Tartus. We'll cut through the pass and make it there." He looked towards the ceiling. "Gods above, I hate the cold."

"Good thing you have Emmy to keep you warm," she winked.

I blanched. "Wait, what?"

She laughed just as Julian did. I turned to Naida but she turned away and placed her hands on Julian's shoulders. "Safe journey, brother. May the Gods bless the road you travel." She kissed each cheek then his forehead.

She turned to me with a smile. "You too, Emmy. Safe journey." She kissed both of my cheeks and forehead too. A warm feeling began to come over me as she finished and I knew she was using her magic. Protection maybe?