Thirty-Three

[A/N]: In the Air Tonight - Natalie Taylor - LISTEN TO THIS SONG. I've been waiting since Book 1 - Chapter 34 to use this song. And it was sooo worth it for this chapter.

Dedicated to @theakpal for the gift card that purchased the coffee that cranked out this chapter, haha

Julian kept a tight hold on me as the crowd made room for the two of us on the dance floor. Not that we were the center of attention. The others seemed more than happy to stay away from us for some reason.

But even if we were, I didn't care. The sudden relief I felt as he touched me was unmistakable. I could feel the light magic from his hand travel through me.

I held Julian's gaze as he led us away from where Damien was.

He stopped next to another couple and took my left hand, placing it on his shoulder. He took my free right hand while he placed his own right hand at my side not quite touching my exposed back.

I watched him all the while, my eyes lingering on how his calloused hands gently touched my hands. The large silver buttons of his jacket were all buttoned up to his neck making him look more formal than I'd ever seen him. While the patterns and thread of the jacket weren't as fine or as intricate as Damien's - it was beautiful all the same. The faerie fabric seemed to catch every light from the sconces in the room.

He'd shaven too. The beard that I'd gotten so used to seeing him with was gone.

As a song slowly began, I froze. The instruments in the corner of the room were vastly different from anything I'd ever seen. There were more strings than brass and as they started up, the music was ethereal - nothing like in the human world. It was light almost as if wanting to lift me. Faerie music.

None of the pounding bass that I'd heard during the Saddaim celebration Naida and I went to.

Julian felt me stiffened and seemed to step back to take me in. "What's wrong?"

"I just realized I don't know how to dance this."

Julian laughed out loud. "Don't worry, my Lady. I will guide you. Follow my lead."

He began to move, small movements that seemed to match the rhythm of the music.

His eyes scanned the room around us as I watched him. He was on edge, watching everything around us.

I was about to speak when he stopped me. "No, not yet."

I cleared my throat, making him look at me.

"Damien mentioned you were a lord, Julian. What are you a lord of?"

A small smile twitched at the corners of his mouth. I could have sworn I heard him hold back a snort of laughter. "I am the Lord of Skryen. One of the largest regions in the Underworld, the main city where I live is at the base of a mountain range."

I tried not to smile. "I've never been to the mountains, do you know if it will be part of the Royal Tour?"

"Not that I'm aware of but if you ever visit," he continued, "I would show you the forests of the mountains. Their beauty is unparalleled especially at night."

Without meaning to, we had somehow closed a small amount of space between us. His hand was on my lower back and I felt like my skin was on fire.

I smiled as I looked up at him. He wasn't as tall as Damien, I didn't have to crane so much to look up at him. "What else?"

Julian didn't tear his gaze from me. In fact, it looked like he was losing his grip again. "Get any closer, Emylin, and I will be spending the rest of my life in the dungeon for what I am about to do. And I won't be sorry for it either."