Thirteen

I shot up in bed, jolted awake by the nightmare I suddenly had.

The Hellhounds had caught up, grabbed me, pinned me to the ground and right before their massive jaws tore into me, I woke up.

I grabbed the pitcher of water next to the bed and poured myself a glass. I took it down quickly, at least my throat didn't hurt - no screaming in my dreams this time. Which was a relief.

No Damien, no parents.

I took a deep breath and pulled myself from the bed running a hand through my hair as I did.

Another night of no sleep. I looked at the clock next to my bed and sighed.

Too early or too late, depending on who you'd ask.

I needed a walk, needed fresh air.

I placed my slippers on my feet and made it outside by the light of the moonlight through the curtain drawn windows of the halls and rooms. I opened the back door as quietly as I could and walked out onto the patio breathing in the fresh air.

I wasn't sure how long I was outside, how long I sat on the patio mesmerized by the different colored lights. Eventually, I walked out to the grounds and listened to the sounds of the night, letting it wash over me and willing it to take away the continued nightmares I had.

The sprites flew to me, sitting on my waiting hands then my arms as I held them out.

I was with Oren the first time I saw the sprites - I wondered how he was. I hadn't thought about him since I left.

The sprites hummed as they neared me with a new small tune carried on the wind.

I smiled, humming back.

They trilled in response as they approached my waiting cupped hands. As they rested I felt something new - it was invigorating, a slight tingle as they touched my skin.

They dispersed as Julian spoke behind me.

"Still here, I see." I could hear the relief in his voice.

I smiled as I watched the sprites leave. "I couldn't sleep - another nightmare."

"Damien?"

I shook my head. "No. Hellhounds caught up to me. I woke up before I could see what was going to happen."

"Hmm," Julian responded. "Interesting. The Hellhounds caught up to me too."

I turned frowning then gasped. "Julian, what the hell happened?"

The black coat that he had been wearing was torn open, from his right shoulder across to his left hip. The black shirt underneath was ripped as well and beneath it all, I could see blood and the shining green paste. His black hair was a mess and a large scratch ran from under his right eye down his jaw, chin and neck, the bloody trail ended at the base of his neck.

I ran to him to try and catch him as he fell on his knees on the gravel path of the garden.

I barely caught him on time, his full weight on my arms as I cushioned his fall.

"What happened?" I asked as I looked at the scratches. "Did the Hellhounds do this to you?"

He nodded weakly. "Yes, one of them got loose as we tried to imprison them in a cell - a rookie guard. He was careless. It was about to attack a lesser faerie. I was able to stop it."

"Jeez, Julian," I hissed. "With what? Your body?"

He chuckled hoarsely. "I'll be fine. The lesser faerie wouldn't have been if the Hellhound reached him. I just need to rest."