Twenty-Four

Eventually, I was warm enough to take off the heavy jacket and one layer of the shirts I had on, including the gloves. I rubbed my hands together over the fire, grateful that I finally had something in my stomach.

At one point, I left the room in search of Axel's library.

My feet moved silently through the quiet halls as I searched the halls for the right room. The crystal sconces would instantly light up as I was about to pass each individual one, the magic following me and lighting my way around the otherwise dark house. Finally, I found a pair of open doors.

The crystal sconces in the room suddenly turned on casting a warm glow in the large room as I entered it.

It was like a scene from a movie. It was the grandest library I'd ever seen. It was the kind of room I'd wanted for myself growing up - a room full of books from floor to ceiling. It could have easily rivaled the library back home on my college campus. My parents' home could have easily fit twice within the large space.

Bookshelves lined the walls of the two-story room from floor to ceiling. The second floor overlooked the first with a balcony full of couches and comfortable looking chairs and desks. I watched in awe as I moved around the room, moving past the grand piano in the middle of the room and the saxophone sitting on the pedestal next to it.

The spines of the books around me were cracked and when I touched them, there was a definite thick layer of dust. I pulled at one of the worn spines and looked the book over, entranced by the ancient look of it.

"You found the library."

I hugged the book tight to my chest as I turned to Julian.

Axel looked amused, a small smile tugged at his lips. "Did you find anything you like?"

I gestured to the book in my hands. "I don't think I've ever seen such an old book."

"Axel is a scholar," Julian chimed in. "He's a collector of rare things."

Axel moved. "Actually, there's one you may like." I followed him through the maze of book stacks and stopped when he did. He reached for a book and handed it to me.

I looked at the book I cradled close, reading the title. "What is the 'Da Humar'?"

"Ancient name for the Light fae. It's a book about them you may want to keep." He smiled. "Take it, it's yours."

"Really?" I asked enthusiastically.

Axel nodded. "The book in your hands has been in my possession for decades. I won't even miss it."

Axel led me back through the room gestured to a pair of armchairs in the middle of the room where Julian stood. "Have a seat. I'll be right back." He spectered out of sight.

Julian rolled his eyes. "Afraid I'll know where you keep your trinkets?"

Axel's disembodied voice rang through the library. "I'm entitled to my secrets. Even from you."

I smiled as I looked around the room, appreciating the art and items inside.

My eyes rested on the saxophone on its stand next to the piano. As I looked at it, I noticed a trumpet sitting on its own nearby. "How many instruments do you play, Axel?" I called out, making sure he could hear me.

He answered from somewhere upstairs. "Saxophone, trumpet, clarinet and the occasional piano."

He appeared next to Julian, dropping a small black pouch in his waiting hand. "Do you play anything?"

I shook my head. "Not in years. There's a violin in my parent's attic somewhere. I never kept up. I should have but -" I only shrugged. "How long have you played?"