Fifty

Song: Ruelle - Monsters (Acoustic)

As soon as Asmo and Damien drafted a response, I signed it. It was immediately sent out with a flame similar to the one I'd seen in Vyssen's estate in Tartus. If it was anything like that one, then, I figured, this one was used as a direct line to whatever the queens were monitoring.

The next morning, I quickly realized I was not allowed to pack my own things, my maidens would do it for me. Meanwhile, I would pick presents for the other queens. The Underworld was known for its riches in stones and jewels, I was told and it was because of this, that precious stones were picked for each of the queens since it was expected.

I chose books of poetry to go along with the priceless jewels. While not valuable at all, the books had helped me through some challenges as a teenager and, I hoped, would resonate with them too.

Asmo sighed. "They won't like it."

I shook my head as I looked at them laid out on the desk of the study. I was wrapping them delicately in really fine tissue paper. "I think they're great."

"What if they don't like it?"

I sighed as I looked at him. "I think that they will appreciate something different rather than the normal priceless stones from the Underworld."

He crossed his arms, shaking his head. "You give them too much credit."

"And you don't give them enough."

He sighed. "The preparations for the Summit are almost complete. It only took them all day."

When I looked at him, he was rolling his eyes. I gave a half-smile.

"Do you think you can be ready in an hour?"

I shrugged as I wrapped the second large book of poetry. "I should be since everyone's done the packing for me already."

He didn't say anything and when I looked back where he was standing, he was already gone.

I shook my head, sighing. "Rude."

I took a deep breath and continued. At least the presents were one thing I could control. It was the one thing I had a say over. At least it kept my hands from shaking, kept me concentrated enough, busy enough to not think of what was happening. It kept me distracted from going over who I would meet and why.

Julian had left immediately after the meeting to meet with Vy at the party.

But Damien...

Damien hadn't said anything to me not even the next day. He mentioned nothing of what I could be facing. He stormed out of the room after Julian had and was out of sight in the hours afterward. He didn't even help in picking out the gifts for the queens when Asmo asked him in the morning.

Asmo knew more than enough to help was what he said.

And I'd been dismissed like I was no one. Like what we shared was nothing special to him.

It had taken everything in me not to fling the heavy rock in my hands at his head as he turned from the Keep's vault and walked away. I imagined he went to the Gates afterward, didn't want to be bothered to pick out political tokens of appreciation for the Underworld's allies.

Moody Damien was back.

Moody, secretive Damien, with his secrets to keep me safe, to keep me at arm's length-- to keep me in the dark like he always did.

I thought that we had reached an agreement before. I thought that there wouldn't be any more secrets between us - that he understood what keeping anything from me did to me.