Chapter 20

Kathy's POV:

The water glittered under the summer sun. The waves rolled in with a soothing sound, the salty scent relaxed me, and footprints left on the sand were soon erased.

I was sitting on the beach. I was transfixed by the waves carelessly dribbling onto the sand, and I was accompanied with a soft breeze gently stroking my bare arms.

Time elapsed endlessly as I stared at the saline ocean shore, reflecting on my love life.

Jesse said he liked me, and I like him. Everything should have fallen into place after that, but I was too scared to admit my feelings, and later, he said it was a lie.

Why is this so difficult?

Whoever is writing my story, needs to change the plot and make things easier for me.

But there was a nagging voice in my head, saying it was my fault.

If I had admitted my feelings to Jesse first and he didn't say anything for fifteen minutes, I probably would have said my confession was a lie, too, because of the embarrassment I would have felt.

But there was another voice saying that it was a good thing that I didn't say anything because if Jesse's confession was a lie, what would he have done if I told him I feel the same for him, too?

I don't know what to think anymore.

The gurgling and the gushing of the waves brought me back to reality. As I watched the waves gently moving backwards and forward, I wanted to find a new resolve. I had to find a way to get out of the fantasy world I had been living in for weeks. I had to find my way back to reality and start again when I go back home.

What would I do at home though? I still have one more year of high school, which means another year with Jesse.

I've already done three years with Jesse. I can do another.

But this would be different. I wouldn't be feeling hatred for him anymore. I would be feeling heartbroken every time I looked at him. I would be thinking of this summer we spent together. I would be thinking of the good and the bad times we spent together, and I would be thinking of the kisses we shared together.

Maybe I should move to another town.

I hate over thinking, I hate feeling confused, I hate my feelings, I hate whoever is writing my story, and I hate Jesse.

I felt a shadow next to me, and I glanced up and recognised the brown-haired boy.

I looked back at the sea as he sat down next to me, and we both stared at the ocean.

Nothing was said between us. It was just me, Jesse, and the tranquillising waves that crashed vigorously against the shore.

We stayed like this for awhile. At first, I felt nervous about being this close to Jesse, but after awhile, I relaxed and enjoyed watching the ocean with him.

"Kathy."

"Yeah?" I said as we continued to look out at the ocean.

"I'm sorry."

I turned my head and looked at him. A gentle flush of pink had painted across his cheeks, which made him look vulnerable.

I watched in awe at his expression as I said, "You finally said it."

"I did... I did!" He looked at me with an excited smile and shouted, "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry, Kathy! I'm sorry for the pranks! I'm sorry for the name calling! I'm sorry for everything!"

I laughed and shouted, "I'm sorry I ignored you!"

"I'm sorry I was upset with you!"

"I'm sorry I said I didn't like you!"

"I'm sorry for taking back my confession!"

My stomach knotted up inside.

Jesse clasped his hand into mine, and he looked into my eyes and said, "I like you."

"I like you, too," I said in an instant.

"We like each other."

"We do."

"Will you go on a date with me?"

"Of course."

Jesse leaned in and kissed me on the lips. This kiss physically felt the same—warm and gentle. However, mentally, the kiss felt different. It was a kiss with no confusion or worries. It was a kiss that meant that we were finally together.

Jesse looked at me when we ended our kiss. He had a gentle smile on his lips. I felt my heart race. Jesse is what makes my heart strong. His smile alone burnishes my heart into a beauty that it could never have achieved on its own.

Jesse stood up and extended his hand out in front of me. I accepted it, and he pulled me up.

The beautiful, big blue ocean's waves crashed against the sand. I saw shells that had been washed onto the shore by the rippling of the water. We walked on the warm, golden sand as it ran between my toes with the gentle breeze blowing at my hair. As we walked along the beach, we held hands, talked, laughed, and kissed.

The beach is a perfect place for a date.

And that's how I wanted us to stay, but, unfortunately, the author of my story enjoys putting drama into my life.