Chapter 14

Kathy's POV:

It felt nice.

The kiss from Jesse was nice.

It was comforting and very sweet.

A kiss I've never shared with anyone before.

But is it odd to have enjoyed that kiss from Jesse? Should I have not kissed him back? Was that a mistake?

This situation is a lot more complicated now. This kiss wasn't a mistake. Did Jesse kiss me to comfort me? I didn't need a kiss because he'd comforted me enough. Although, I must admit that the kiss was very comforting.

I sighed.

When the kiss ended, Jesse looked at me and said that he had to go. He kissed my forehead and said he hoped I was feeling better and left.

Why do I have a longing to have Jesse back in this room with me?

I don't think it's because I like him. I think it's because he's comforting to be around.

I laughed a little.

I never thought I would think like that towards the beast.

I guess Jesse is similar to the Beast from Beauty and the Beast. He wasn't likeable because of his behaviour, but over time, he's changed and has become very caring towards the one he loves.

The door opened, and my heart skipped a beat at the thought of Jesse coming through that door, but the person behind the door was Cleo.

"Hey." Cleo smiled. She closed the door and came over and sat next to me. "I brought you tissues."

I laughed and said, "I don't need them anymore."

"I take it that Jesse made you feel better."

I felt nerves in my stomach at the mention of him. I couldn't respond, so I nodded instead.

Cleo smiled. "I'm starting to like Jesse."

I looked at her. "Really?"

"Yeah! He's been likeable and nice to talk to."

"You spoke to him?"

Cleo gave me a look. "I can't always talk to you and Zack, you know. And besides, I've always wanted to learn more about my boyfriend's best friend. It was difficult before because of the way he acted towards you."

"What have you learnt about him?"

"He's smart and kind. I believe Zack now when he used to say Jesse wasn't really the bad type. I wonder why he acted that way though."

"I wonder the same thing, too."

"It's weird, right?"

"Very."

"If you ever find out, tell me."

I laughed. "I will."

I looked at Cleo, and a thought came to me. Maybe she can help me solve my kissing problem without me actually telling her I kissed Jesse. I wasn't ready to tell her yet, but I needed her help.

"Cleo."

"Mm?"

"Remember when you were one of the girls at the kissing booth at the school fair?"

"Don't remind me."

I laughed and asked, "Did you enjoy kissing those guys?"

"No! I kissed two and quit!"

"Why didn't you like it?"

"They were strangers. I didn't know them. They weren't my special someone."