Chapter 9

Jesse's POV:

"Don't worry, I don't think we're friends."

"Huh?"

"I don't think you are my friend because you helped me. You hate me and I... hate you. Well, err... goodnight."

"And that's what happened."

I was sitting on Zack and Cleo's bed while I explained to Zack about yesterday's events. I was explaining to him what happened after the pier. Kathy and I walked back to the hotel together and before we walked into our room, she told me that she didn't think we were friends.

Zack sat on the couch thinking over my words and said, "You're fucked."

"What should I do?"

"Because you're an idiot who doesn't like to apologise to people, you have to do something that shows Kathy that you're sorry and that you do want to be friends with her."

I looked down at my hands. "But I don't want to be her friend."

Zack threw a pillow over his face and groaned into the pillow.

"I want to be more than friends," I explained.

Zack removed the pillow and looked at me. "Oh! Well, in that case, you can't."

"Why not?"

"You can't just randomly ask her out. She doesn't know you and she might think it's some kind of joke because you know, you've played hundreds of pranks on her ever since you've met her."

"You're right." I sighed. "How should I apologise to her?"

"Romance!"

"Romance?"

Zack rolled his eyes. "Yes, Jesse, romance!"

"But what kind of romance?"

"Um... you will have to ask someone else who knows everything about Kathy."

"Like who?"

"My girlfriend."
__________________________

"You want to apologise to Kathy?"

Cleo and I were sitting outside of a café near the beach. Zack told Cleo I wanted to talk to her privately, so while we did that, Zack took Kathy to the beach to keep her busy while I talked to Cleo.

"I do."

"Why? I thought you hated her every existence?"

"Are you going to help me or not?"

"Um..." Cleo tapped her chin in thought. "No."

"Why?"

"I don't think you're good for Kathy."

What does she mean I'm not good for Kathy?

"What do you mean?"

"You constantly make fun of Kathy, call her 'Yolk', play pranks on her, and you even pretended to be her friend. You upset her all the time, and I don't like seeing her upset."

I sighed because I know all of this, but for some stupid reason, I keep doing these things to Kathy.

"I wasn't pretending to be her friend," I admitted. "I got jealous and reacted out of anger. I just want to apologise for everything I put her through."

"Why, were you jealous?"

Crap...

"I didn't say that."