Chapter 5

Kathy's POV:

My legs are officially numb. We've been driving for eight hours straight without a break. This morning, we left the hotel in a rush because of Zack. The three of us were laid back about leaving the hotel, but not Zack. He practically pushed us out of the hotel and into the car so we could leave.

The wind blew my raven dark hair as the car passed another truck. The radio station played classic rock music over the din of the rolled down window. I had my eyes closed, enjoying the cool air and the soothing music.

I rolled my head slightly to look at Jesse and saw him reading a book. The light shining through the window was hitting his face. I'd never seen him look so relaxed before. Usually, he would have a frown on his features. It was nice to see that he had other expressions, too.

Yesterday was the most fun I'd had on this vacation, and it was all because of Jesse.

This feels weird but also nice not to be called "Yolk" and not to be pranked on. But why do I have the feeling that this change won't last long?

The music from the radio suddenly disappeared, and the music was replaced by Cleo's voice. "I'm hungry!"

"You had Doritos an hour ago," Zack said.

"I need real food!"

"Just have the chocolate bar in the bag."

Cleo looked at Zack and said in a serious tone, "No."

"Come on, babe. We are already running late."

"It won't take us hours and besides, Kathy and Jesse are hungry too." Cleo turned around in her seat to look at me. "Right, Kathy?" She was giving me "the look"—the look that says that if I say no, she will kick me.

"I'm hungry," I quickly answered.

"Stop the car, Zack. There's a diner right there." Jesse pointed at the diner on his side.

"No."

"Think of all the fries you can eat," Cleo said in a seductive voice. "And the different sauces you can dip them in, like ketchup, mayonnaise, barbeque sauce, and more."

"Milkshakes?"

"Of course."

Zack turned right and parked the car outside the diner.

All four of us instantly stepped out of the car and stretched our aching bodies. In the past minute, I heard a lot of different cracks coming from our joints.

"Ah, that feels good," Jesse said. He stretched his arm over his head.

I was cracking my fingers when Cleo grasps her hand into mine and pulled me towards the diner. "Come on, Kathy! There's food inside there!"

I laughed and followed her inside the diner. A strong fragrance instantly hit my nostrils, and my stomach growled in response. Cleo laughed at me, and Jesse and Zack came in and stood behind us.

"Let's sit down!" Cleo walked in further into the diner as we all followed her and sat down in a booth together. I sat next to Cleo and opposite of us were Jesse and Zack.

A waitress came over to us and handed us each a menu. "My name is Loo, and I'll be your waitress today. Would you like to order drinks?"

We all nodded and told Loo our orders. She wrote down them down on her notepad and said, "Alright, I'll be right back with your drinks." She turned around and left to get our orders.

"I can't choose!" Cleo said, already looking through the menu.

I read the menu and suggested, "What about a burger and fries?"