Chapter 13

Jesse's POV:

Kathy and I haven't spoken to each other in three days.

I have tried to talk to Kathy, but things between us have been awkward, and it's because I kissed her.

I know I shouldn't have done that. We have only just become friends. At the time, I was having a really good time with Kathy and all I thought of in that moment was her.

I'm an idiot. I ruined things between us again.

Since that day at the beach, we have been driving for a few days. We booked into a hotel for the night, and I'm sharing with Zack while the girls are sharing with each other. Cleo was the one who wanted to share a room with Kathy tonight. I did wonder why because Zack and Cleo always share a room together. I figured it was because Kathy has been oddly quiet these past few days towards me and to Cleo.

At the moment, Zack and I were at the gas station, filling up the car for tomorrow.

I haven't told Zack about the kiss because I knew he was going to call me an idiot. I wanted to solve this problem myself, but I don't know how. I needed Zack right now.

"Zack."

"Mm?"

"I kissed Kathy."

Zack, who had lifted his bottle for a drink, practically choked on his water. He dropped the gas handle to the ground and looked at me in disbelief.

"What? Did I hear you correctly?" Zack stuck his finger in his ear.

"You heard me right."

"Idiot!"

I sighed.

"Why would you do that?! When did you do that?!"

"At the beach." Zack nodded for me to continue. "We were waiting for you and Cleo. We were teasing each other, and I kissed her—" I was cut off by a small smack to the side of the head. "Ow!"

"Idiot! You shocked Kathy and made her into a mute! You broke her!"

I continued rubbing my head and said, "I didn't break her. She's been quiet towards all of us. Why do you think that is?"

"You freaked her out."

"It was a kiss."

"A kiss from you! From her bully!"

"Ex-bully," I mumbled.

Zack ignored me. "What happened when you two went back to your room?"

"I said the kiss was a mistake, and we both agreed that it was the heat of the moment that made me do that."

"Idiot! You shouldn't have said it was a mistake!"

"I know that now! I need your help. What should I do?"

"I'll drive you back to the hotel, and you're going to talk to Kathy."

"Just talk?"

"Yeah."

"Is that all?"

"Yeah."

"That's your big plan?"

Zack was getting annoyed with me. "What did you want me to tell you?"

"Something better than talking."

"That's all I can offer for your stupidity," Zack said as he left to pay for the gas.

I got in the passenger seat. Zack came back and got in the driver's seat, and we drove back to the hotel.

"What should I say to her?" I asked.