HEARTBROKEN

One Month Later...

Nitya's heart felt heavy as she sat alone in her room, her tears flowing freely as she grappled with the weight of her emotions. The events of the day had left her shattered, her spirit broken by the cruel twist of fate that had befallen her.

For the past two hours, she had sought solace in the confines of her room, shutting out the world as she tried to make sense of the pain that consumed her. Outside her door, she could hear her mother's worried voice, but she couldn't bring herself to face the world outside, not when her own world had crumbled around her.

With a trembling hand, she buried her face in her lap, seeking refuge from the overwhelming torrent of emotions that threatened to engulf her. Each sob wracked her body, the tears flowing unchecked as she surrendered to the agony of her heartache.

The memory of his words haunted her like a relentless ghost, each syllable cutting through her like a knife. "You heard correctly, and it's good you heard the truth. Besides, I didn't want you to hold any hope for me." The sting of betrayal pierced her soul, leaving her feeling raw and exposed in the wake of his callous revelation.

Desperate to escape the pain, Nitya tried to push away the memories that threatened to consume her, but they refused to be silenced. Every moment she had shared with him replayed in her mind like a cruel taunt, each memory now tainted by the bitter taste of betrayal.

As she sat alone in her room, her heart heavy with grief, Nitya couldn't help but feel as though a vital part of herself had been torn away, leaving her adrift in a sea of uncertainty and despair.

Nitya emerged from her room upon hearing her mother's distressed voice, her heart heavy with the weight of her own turmoil. As she approached her mother, she could sense the concern etched on her face, her worry evident in the way she spoke to Nishi on the phone.

"Look, Nishu, Nitya is not opening the door, I don't understand what to do...and since when..." her mother's voice trailed off as Nitya swiftly reached for the phone, intercepting the conversation before it could continue.

"Nishu, nothing's wrong, I just had a bad headache so I fell asleep with the door closed," Nitya fabricated an excuse, her voice steady despite the turmoil raging within her.

"Di, are you lying to me? I know you were crying...tell me what happened," Nishi's concerned voice echoed through the phone, her intuition piercing through Nitya's facade.

"It's nothing, Nishi...The wedding...everything is happening so fast, I just got a little overwhelmed," Nitya lied again, her heart aching at the thought of burdening her sister with her own troubles.

"Di, you're lying again. I'm booking the next flight to Mumbai, and you..." Nishi's determination to come to her sister's aid was evident, but Nitya couldn't bear the thought of dragging her sister into her own mess.

"Nishi, you're not coming here. Besides, you're supposed to return in two weeks anyway, so please don't waste your time now. Everything's fine here, and please don't get involved in Mom's unnecessary worries. Just focus on your work. I'm hanging up now. Take care," she interrupted firmly, her resolve unwavering as she ended the call.

Turning to her mother, arms crossed in defiance, Nitya awaited her response, hoping to quell her mother's concerns without revealing the truth of her own pain.

"Maa, why did you call her? It must be around 2:30 AM there, she was sleeping peacefully, and you've unnecessarily stressed her out," Nitya expressed her concern, gently guiding her mother to sit down.

"I had no other choice, you came home at 8:30 PM, and since then you've been locked in your room for two hours, not opening the door or responding. You was also soaking wet,? I couldn't call Aarushi during this period, your father isn't here either... so I had to call Nishi," her mother explained anxiously.