THE LUNCH DATE

Their mother commanded, "Aarushi, dear, what are you doing? Get ready."

"Look at her, mom. Is there a single person who thinks she will soon tie the knot? Nitya, who was brushing Aarushi's hair, remarked.

"Please stop talking," Aarushi shoved her.

"Do the hair quickly," their mother instructed them. "Aarushi's in-laws are having lunch with us today, Nitya."

"Did you hear that, hurry up and do my hair," she said, glaring at Nitya, who winced.

"Mom, why are we inviting her in-laws for lunch?" Nishi questioned while nibbling an apple.

"Dear, this is a ritual as well," her mother said.

Nishi had a cheeky thought again, and she gave herself a cheeky smile.

"Oh my God!" Their mother remarked, "I'm not sure what I'll be making for lunch today."

"I'll prepare the lunch maa" Nishi interrupted

"Then please arrange for an ambulance maa, this girl will definitely send my inlaws to hospital." Aarushi said with a laugh.

"This is the first time you've said something correctly," Nitya interjected. Dear Nishi, should you have such a passion for cooking, then kindly assist me in the kitchen."

"That will also work," Nishi muttered to herself.

Later, Nitya Nishi was in the kitchen with her mother, helping her cook while Nishi was assisting both of them. Nobody was as aware of her unique intentions in the kitchen.

Abhishek's family arrived at the Rajhans' home prepared for dinner and was greeted with open arms. When the doorbell rang, Aarushi rushed outside to open it but she stopped herself when she saw Nishi at the door.

"Aaiye, Aaiye aapka intezar tha, Aaiye aapka intezar tha" Abhishek was caught off guard by Nishi's singing.

"What is all this, Nishi?" Abhishek inquired, looking puzzled. 

She stated, glancing at Aarushi, "This is the condition of my sister's heart, Jiju, you won't understand, right Didi." Aarushi cowered down behind a pillar, flushed.

"Dear, are you going to keep us here?" Sarcastically, Mrs. Rajput enquired.

"No, no, no, Auntie, I just forgot. Please accept my sincere apologies. Please come inside."

Once inside, Abhishek's family made themselves comfortable in the hall, except Rajat, who had just entered.

Nishi indicated a chair and added, "There's a special seat for you, over there."

"This seems like a lot of trouble," he surmised.

"Nah, I'm fine," was his response.

Rajat resisted Niharika's request, "Dear, please have a seat." He was well that trouble would ensue if Nishi had insisted on a specific seat.

Once more, he answered, "No no, Aunty, I am fine."

"Relax, Rajat. What are you doing?" His mum complained.

"Mom, I'm okay," he grinned.

"Aunty, it seems he has some problem in his stomach, or some other complaint...Pi.."

But Nirmala cut her off before she could say anything further. She grinned, "No, sweetheart, it's nothing like that."

"Rajat, please sit down so you don't embarrass us," she reprimanded him quietly.

Though Nishi loved it, Rajat sat down and continued to stare at her because it was because of her that his mother had reprimanded her.

The family had a quick chat and then sat for the lunch. While Nishi and Nitya were tending to him, Nishi had another thought.