Episode 26: The Dance

Castellian settlers landed on the Colonus Coast in approximately 200 B.D. They formed colonies, which turned into trade ports, that soon grew into cities. They traded with friendly locals and drove hostile tribes out of the region, forcing them to migrate south and east. By the first century B.D., Castellian colonies dotted the coastlines and the Igni Isles. They moved inland, claiming the Fields of Milanis and establishing a large agricultural industry to drive trade with the Dwarven Kingdoms. Despite numerous setbacks and rebellions, the Castellian colonies, especially Chios, grew into prosperous provincial powers.

That was before an unexpected obstacle threatened to destroy everything the Castellian Empire had built.

—Brother Donnman, of the Holy Order, "A Brief History of Alexandria." 1521 A.D.

I'm too late! The ruckus of the party rumbled below, migrating from the banquet to the main hall. Augustus finished his third sweep of the master bedroom and then pulled the door open.

Two guardsmen poked their heads in, searching for the ghost.

"Shrimp," Gus whispered.

The smaller man grabbed his big friend's arm. "Did you say that? Nico?"

"Let's move to the end of the hall," Nico said. He led the way.

Gus stirred up a light breeze with his cloak's magic, sending a wave of cool air toward the men. He walked across the hall and gave the son's door a push. The door flew open and thumped against the wall, which spurned the guardsmen to walk a little faster. Augustus ran to the daughter's door and shoved it. It thumped against the wall and, again, the men quickened their pace. "Shrimp!" Gus hissed.

The smaller man clambered for the last door, leading out onto the balcony, but Nico grabbed him up. "Don't embarrass the master!"

"I can't. I can't," Shrimp shook his head as he spoke, clinging to Nico.

"Come on." Nico carried Shrimp down the hall looking left to right, up and down, searching for the spirit that harried them. He opened the son's room. "We'll hang out in here." The big man shut the door behind them.

Augustus slid through the exit and crouched atop the balcony, overlooking the glamorous party as it flowed into a wide-open chamber. More than one guest audibly gasped when they saw red banners hanging from the walls, drapery covering the windows, and the room's chandeliers hanging low. Only half the candles burned, casting ominous shadows upon the corners and high ceiling—more candles burned on little brass tables stationed around the room. Skiggi and Dori danced in the center, spinning flaming batons, whose fire gleamed upon every metal surface in the room. Rose ushered them into an ethereal realm: "Master Giovani, you have ties to a dark world, so your abode should reflect that aura of danger." The darkened manor felt eerie, yet intimate. Gus hid atop the balcony, a shadowed alcove from which he watched Skiggi and Dori douse their batons, dimming the room even further. Giovani Bianchi walked to the center alongside his wife, Lucia. Rose's voice floated up to the balcony:

"A world at war,

A love so strong."

A violin struck a chord, encouraging an ensemble of musicians to join.

"Dance with me,

And let's pretend,

Nothing is wrong."

Giovani offered his wife a hand, and she took it. They circled slowly. The dinner guests followed their host's lead, swaying and dancing across the room, spurned faster and faster by the accelerating music. Soon, Rose's lyrics were drowned by the clopping of feet and the volume of the instruments. Gus snuck down the stairwell and returned to the entrance, where Rose waited. He threw off his cloak, twisting it into a bundle of invisible cloth and stuffing it in the crook of his arm. "Any luck?" she whispered.