Episode 1: The Prince of Shadows

Returning from his campaign on the Southern Continent, Alexander chose the city of Ilbean as his new capital and renamed it to reflect his grandeur. It was, geographically, at the heart of his new empire, offering a strong defensive and political position. As well, the Blackroot River controlled trade between the North and the South. Alexander's descendants reigned from this seat of power for nearly one thousand years, until they were usurped by an upstart dynasty–the Pendragon family.

—Brother Donnman, of the Holy Order, "A Brief History of Alexandria." 1521 A.D.

"The Pendragon heir is alive and well. Another assassin has failed."

"So, the Holy Order failed again?" Peck grinned behind his shadowy veil. The hood of his cloak hid him well in the alley's dark. Brick walls pressed in close. Trash littered the ground. The putrid-sweet smell of rotting vegetables stained the air. "The High Exemplar will never learn."

"That isn't what you came to ask, though, is it?" The old beggar smiled a toothless smile. His bare feet shuffled with anticipation. "I know you, Peck."

"Sometimes you talk too much, Boyle," Peck said. "I've killed men for knowing less–and talking less."

"It's hardly been a complaint with my other customers." Boyle shrugged. "They get mad when I don't say enough."

"It's no mystery why I'm here. The disappearance of Lady Miranda shocked everyone. But don't go telling our business, nor mine." Peck thumbed the pointy pommel of his hidden dagger.

"You know you can trust me, Peck. If I told my clients the business of other clients, I'd soon be out of clients!"

"Just tell me what you know about Lady Miranda's disappearance," Peck said, tossing Boyle a silver circling.

The old beggar caught the coin. He turned it over in his hand, brought it to his mouth, and gnawed it with his gums. Boyle eyed Peck, brown beads gleaming with suspicion. "Red Sashes kidnapped her. Boys from the docks. They're all in an uproar because of the new taxes. And Lady Miranda's uncle is the Lord of Lundy, who was the most vocal supporter of the new taxes, and the man who stands to profit most from them–besides the King, of course."

Of course, Peck thought. My brother always stands to gain when a new law passes through the High Courts. He's as reckless at politics as he is at war. Peck crossed his arms. "Speak, Boyle. I already know the Red Sashes are involved. Do you have any names?"

"First you want me to talk less, now you're telling me to talk more." Boyle crossed his arms, not-so-deftly tucking the circling into his waistband.

"Boyle!" Peck barked.

"Alright, alright. Don't lose your head on me! Do you know the man who owns the Troutman's Retreat?" Boyle asked.

Peck rubbed his chin. "John's got a hot head, but he's not a fool."