Episode 7: The Road

The Golden Valley is the Cartier family's most prized possession. King Edward IV gifted it to them for their loyal and distinguished service to the crown. The former Lords of Gold Hill were the Farrow Dynasty. During the Second War of Western Aggression, Duke Frederick III laid siege to their city. Lord Justin Farrow abandoned Gold Hill during the last days of the siege, and his cowardice cost him both rank and titles.

In Alexander the Great's time, the Western Road was one of the busiest trade routes on the continent, for it was the quickest route between the far east and the western sea. After the discovery of Darron's Door, the flow of trade on the Western Road diminished, but not altogether. The easily defensible terrain, massive mineral deposits, and roadways linking to the dwarves of the Mountains and the West Duchies lend these lands an imperishable quality.

-Brother Donnman, of the Holy Order, "A Brief History of Alexandria." 1521 A.D.

"There's a fine line between friends and enemies," Padair explained.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Augustus fought against cedar branches and thorn bushes.

"One helps you, the other hinders you, but they both define you," the satyr said. His bushy brows furrowed deeply as he pushed through the thicket.

"My instructor never told me satyrs could be so profound, my friend," Gus said. "I suppose you have plenty of time to ponder during your journeys. Have you ever spoken with philosophers? I imagine a well-traversed satyr would meet a few between here and there." He discovered it was best to ask the questions, lest he lay bare to an onslaught of questions himself.

"I've met many philosophers, but I've never agreed with any of them. They always try to turn their answers into questions-horrible people to converse with." The satyr's furry legs shuffled through brush and briars.

Gus' legs were weak and wobbly. Thorns clutched at his clothes.

"I met one named Aristata. He was a philosopher from Antacina, who moved to Alexandria at the behest of King Argus III. Now, there was an infuriating creature."

I can name another infuriating creature, Augustus pondered. Days lost in the wilderness with the goat man left Gus tired of stories, tired of questions, and tired of the satyr.

"Aristata, the dimwit, tried to convince me that humans are superior to satyrs, but it is simply not true! There is-"

"Which way is the Western Road?"

"It's just ahead," the satyr said. The evergreens grew thick, but the floor of the wood was thicker-overgrown with brambly bushes. Padair moved through them with ease. His thick hide never felt the fur pulling free.

Gus sighed. He fought off the long arm of a prickly cedar. The sweet scent of cedar and pine sap permeated. Fighting uphill, they crested a knoll, crowned with a ring of trees, and overlooking a splendid valley.

"The Golden Valley," Gus said. He took a seat amongst twigs, leaves, and needles. The wood fell west into the valley, where fields of grass cleared away the trees, the hills, and the rocks. The Western Road cut a gray scar through the valley.

"And then Gold Hill, unfortunately," Padair said.

Augustus shook his head. "I could use a proper bed." He stretched out on the cold ground. The tree-born discards offered some comfort.

"You're resting already?" Padair asked.

"I am resting, yes. And I am never taking directions from you again," Augustus said. He yawned, as a chilly breeze licked and shivered his sweat-lathed skin.