Episode 3: Blood Ties

On the second morning of Mor's Moon, 1423 A.D., the Guild Masters of Alexandria dawned scarlet sashes in a sign of unity. They led their guilds, and families, marching through the streets under scarlet banners. Though most demonstrations were peaceful, riots broke out in the docks. Barges were set ablaze. Shops and homes were destroyed. Everyone suffered–commoners and nobles alike. When the smoke settled, King Arbor Pendragon V drafted "The Common Good Act." It was voted into law on the twelfth morning of Mor's, with overwhelming support from both the House of Lords and the House of Exemplars. Henceforth, a third house would represent the interest of the common man. The House of Commons was born.

—Brother Donnman, of the Holy Order, "A Brief History of Alexandria." 1521 A.D.

"So, you need a place to lay low, Mr. Peck?" the Sultan asked. A yellow cat's eye gem, nestled in the folds of his big turban, gleamed in the light of a low-burning brazier.

"I've taken some heat recently," Peck answered. Peck studied the Sultan–his robes, his turban, his jewelry. He looked around the Sultan's office. It was a drab room, with a green molded-cloth banner hanging from one wall and a bronze-framed painting hanging on the other. The back wall, across from him, held a large window of iron bars.

The Sultan's eyes were beady and black. They peered down a long nose. Thin fingers interlocked, hands resting on the table, the Sultan leaned back in his chair. "What you're asking for doesn't come cheap. You're a wanted man. Now, look, I can tell you're scared. You did something terrible to a very important person, didn't you, Peck?"

"You could say that," Peck said.

"I don't need to know the details." The Sultan shrugged. "I just need your cooperation. Having you here puts my entire operation at risk."

"I understand." Peck nodded.

"Do you?" The Sultan leaned forward. He grinned. "Peck, I've been working on something big down here. You came to me for a reason–because you've heard my name in the streets. This isn't a chance encounter."

I knew he'd try to recruit me. Peck contemplated.

"I've heard your name, too," the Sultan said. "Well, names, I suppose." He winked. "I've been watching you, Peck."

"Have you?"

"Peck isn't your real name, of course. Neither is Lord Landy, as most believe you to be." the Sultan explained. "You saved Lady Miranda from the Red Sashes, didn't you?"

Peck nodded.

"That was my serpent you stomped out," the Sultan said.

Peck leaned forward. "So, you hired Snake to kidnap Lady Miranda?"

The Sultan laughed. He waved his hands about. "Oh, no. I hired Snake to be my spy–my man inside the ranks of the Reds. I have no idea how he got himself mixed up in that mess. Snake was good, Peck, but you... you are something entirely different. I could use a man like you."

"I'm not looking for work," Peck responded, shaking his head.

The sultan's hands shot into the air above his head. The sleeves of his loose-fitting garment slid down his arms. "I am the Sultan of Alexandria! The King of the Underworld! I'm not some foreman."

Peck chuckled. He looked around him, surveying the scene of squalor. "Those are quite the titles."

The Sultan leaned back in his chair and steepled his fingers. His brows furrowed. "Let's get down to business."

"I just want to lie low," Peck said.

"And I just want to make money. But the Red Sashes want to assassinate me. The City Watch wants to hang me. And the merchants want to drown me in the river! If you want my hard-earned protection, then you have to pay me more than a few circlings, Peck."