Episode 25: The Charade

It takes years for a city to recover from a siege–decades. The attrition caused by food shortages, death in combat, and especially disease must be taken into consideration. A good leader will set into motion measures that will help his city, and his castle, recover, even before the onset of a siege.

—Lord John Paul, "Siege Warfare and Military Strategy in the Age of Steel," 1304 A.D.

"Do you know where Giovani keeps his money?" Rose leaned against the backrest of her bed.

"No," Augustus admitted. He stood in the center of the six-bed apartment, stroking his neatly trimmed mustache. "He's a criminal, though. Men like that can't keep all their money in one place, and most dwarven banks won't deal with illegitimate businesses."

"So we're assumin'?" Skiggi scowled, bushy black brows forming a hedge. "You're bustin' in on assumptions, Gus? That's dangerous. We need better intel than that!" Beads embedded in his beard and hair rattled as he shook his head. "How many guards are there? Do we have a detailed layout of Bianchi Manor? Ill-planned heists are doomed to fail, Gus."

"Even well-planned heists can fail," Dori, nestled beside her husband, added. A mattress barely comfortable for a human offered more than enough room for the dwarves.

"I know that Master Giovani Bianchi frequently attends local balls to maintain appearances with the upper-class citizens," Augustus said. "His wife and children accompany their father on such occasions, which makes the job less complicated. Bianchi Manor is a single-story complex with a perimeter barrier that extends from the city wall. And it would be much easier for me to go in alone, crack the safe, and get out with the money."

"You're not leaving my sight," Rose reminded.

"So we need to figure out how to get you in without being seen," Gus explained as he clasped his hands behind his back. "We don't have time to work our way into their trust. We must rely on stealth. That's why it's silly for Rose to get involved. I can get in and out much easier by myself. This isn't Rose's job. We all stand to make a lot of money if we're successful. I think we should vote on the matter."

Rose bolted upright. "No!"

"Gus has a point," Skiggi said. "He's as slick as a weasel."

"No," Rose crossed her arms.

"You let me do all the work in Goldhill," Gus said. "Why can't you trust me now? I'll make it out okay, regardless of what happens."

Rose chuckled. "You will not intimidate me."

"What do you think, Dori?" Gus asked, turning to the dwarven lady lying next to her husband.

Dori looked from Rose to Gus to Skiggi. "Hm," she mused aloud, tapping her cheek with her forefinger. "If you don't have any intel, then it sounds like you could use all the help you can get."

Gus' heart plummeted. She's more pure or more clever than I thought.

"And how do you vote, Skiggi?" Rose eyed the dwarf. "You've made your thoughts on the matter known. Where does your vote land now? Do you disagree with Dori? Should we let Gus go into Bianchi Manor alone? Should we let him take as much money as he can carry just to watch him drift away across the Far Waters without us? Do you think that's a good idea? Truly?"

Skiggi looked down at his wife, whose head rested on his chest. Glimmering eyes peered back at him through a tangle of coarse black hairs. "Oh, well, I suppose you have your points."

Augustus sighed as he unfolded his hands. "Okay. We'll have to wait until the next ball, then."

"Giovani's hosting a dinner party soon," Dori said. "Even Countess Ciraulo will be there." Everyone in the room turned their eyes on the little woman. She shied away from their gaze, shrinking behind her husband's thick beard and round belly. "What? I heard people talking about it in the tavern."