Episode 9: To the Letter

The Kaelorian elves were broken refugees who landed upon a foreign shore. No one wanted them. They were shuffled from west to east, marched across an unwelcoming land, carrying wondrous and terrible tales of dragons and cataclysmic destruction. King Kaelorian professed their sins openly: they had grown too powerful and arrogant, so their gods struck them down and scattered them across the seas. They claimed to be great sorcerers but refused to wield their power out of fear of their gods, and divine retribution. Why would any sane ruler wish to harbor such dangerous people?

They finally found a home in the eastern expanse of Fergonia. The region was largely uninhabited due to constant raiding conducted by the tribesmen of the Eastern Steppes. The Elves proved to be an effective countermeasure against these incursions.

—Brother Donnman, of the Holy Order, "A Brief History of Fergonia." 1526 A.D.

"You found a letter?" Rose asked. "What did it say?"

"This service means more than any kingdom. 'It' has arrived safely," Augustus recited.

"Calving Cartier refused a marriage proposal between Lady Elizabeth and his youngest son, offending Lord Crystalcreek's daughter and his pride!" Rose exclaimed. She smiled, rubbing her hands together. "Nothing is more profitable than noble intrigue."

"Then, the Crystalcreeks are moving against the Cartiers?" Dori inquired. She thumbed her chin. "Are they trying to start a rebellion?"

Gus shook his head. "The Crystalcreeks are too small to move against the royal bloodline. They would be beset by all the Lords of the Western Ward. In order to claim the city for himself, Lord Crystalcreek would need not only the allegiance of other powerful families within the city but also aid from a foreign power." Augustus sat down on a wooden bench. "If Crystalcreek is involved, he's merely seeking to embarrass the Cartiers and make them look foolish."

Rose furrowed her fiery brow in consternation.

"The only identifying mark on the message was 'B'. There was no seal," Augustus explained.

"'Bee?'" Skiggi asked, tugging at a copper link in his braided beard.

"A single letter," Gus clarified. "Nothing more." He paused, then scratched his head. "Personally, I'm more intrigued by the seal–or lack thereof. Did Lord Crystalcreek write the letter and leave it laying open, for any prying eyes to read? Or, did he receive an unmarked letter? It is not uncommon for the nobility to bend the laws to suit their needs, but, if Crystalcreek received an unmarked–unlawful–letter, then he is certainly wrapped up in some business that could stain his reputation, or ruin his House."

The four of them paced about the attic of the Western Inn. It was a graveyard of broken and abandoned furniture, kept for spare parts. "What have you all learned about the Red Sashes and their leader?" Gus asked.

"Maddox is a hard man to get to," Rose said.

"I can get to him," Gus assured. "But that will distract me from Crystalcreek Manor and the Elvish District."

"Leave it to us, Gus!" Skiggi pointed a thumb at his chest.

"We just need a little more time," Dori added.

"Thankfully, we've done business with the local Reds before," Rose informed. "We're inviting them to our performances, henceforth–free of charge. They'll be drinking and dancing and talking. There's nothing like a stiff drink to loosen a tongue. All we have to do is keep them talking and wait for one of them to let something slip."