Episode 13: Water from the Stone

The notion of knighthood has shifted drastically from its first inception. Once, a knight was the southern variation of a hoplite–a landowner with enough wealth to afford military equipment and training. Under Alexander, however, a law was passed stating that only men of noble birth could obtain knighthood. The early Deloriar monarchs were infamous for controlling their people's ability to move up the social and economic hierarchies of society.

King Argile Pendragon II rectified this law in 1418 A.D. Scholars believe the law was stricken because King Argile's armies needed an influx of manpower. Their strength had withered after a long war fought on multiple fronts. Meanwhile, Fergonia had been bolstering their own forces with elvish skirmishers and mercenaries from the south.

—Imperial Exemplar Louis III, of the Imperial Holy Order, "On Alexander and his Legacy." 1657 A.D.

"You are too good a person, Gus." Rose combed through her hair with her fingers. She grunted and growled while untangling the knots of red, cursing under her breath. She sat beside Skiggi on a wooden bench at the head of the uncovered wagon. Its old wheels creaked. Somewhere, a piece of metal clanked against something else, but they had yet to find it. "You paid too much for this thing! I'll never let you negotiate with our money again!"

"I don't know why you let him in the first place," Skiggi said. He held to the reins of a mule–spotted black and gray.

"Because I didn't want those villagers to see us!" Rose explained. "Riders will look for three performers–two dwarves and a woman. They're not looking for Gus."

"It's been two days and we haven't seen or heard anything. I don't think we should worry ourselves," Augustus said. His feet dangled off the back of the wagon.

"They probably think I bewitched the guards," Rose said. She groaned. "I'll never be able to perform in that town again. Though, I suppose it's not a great loss. The people are crude and their whole town stinks!"

"This stinks!" Dori piped in. "I miss the Mysterium." She stood, bits of straw clinging to her clothes, and walked across the moving wagon, joining Gus. "Ow!" She held one hand in the other. "I got another splinter!"

"Gus is an expert in haggling!" Rose exclaimed.

Augustus watched the Western Road disappear into the eastern horizon, swerving away on soft rolling hills. A thick canopy of trees offered shade. The road was wide and well-maintained. Their ride wasn't as smooth as it could have been, and their mule was long in the tooth, but at least they weren't walking. And the old farmer, who couldn't afford to restore the wagon, walked away with enough money to buy a new one. "Somebody has to do the right thing, or everything falls apart."

Rose turned in her seat, dangling her hair over her shoulder, her head tilted, hands passing through thick strands of curls. "I wish my Lord of a father had raised me to be so naïve. Do the right thing and everything will be okay!" She shook out her hair, then flipped it over her other shoulder. "Sometimes I think you'd make a better priest than a bard."

The village of Turinstein rested between three roads. The Western Road cut across the northern edge of town, splitting it in two. Two roads ran south, on either side of the village, both leading to the City of Hamlen. Their wagon rocked to a stop in front of a three-story building, waiting for a team of oxen to pull their load of freshly sawn logs. The first floor of the building was solid stone. The second and third were timber. Its roof was wide and slanted at a soft angle. A stable stood behind it. On either side, a general store and a trading post. Trade stalls and vendors set up shop right along the road, forming a line stretching east and west. Just across from the Bastion Inn, a town square offered open space for travelers and vendors. A troop of puppeteers parked their wagon at the center of the trade square, setting up a little stage. Children gathered around, and parents, too. Gus missed the Mysterium.