7. aftermath

seven

seven . aftermath
[ narrative ]
MAY 24TH, 2024
oops?
lizzie's pov

✮ ⋆ ˚。𖦹 ⋆。°✩

A FEW hours after breakfast, I check the schedule and see that the 2nd and 3rd graders are scheduled together to go on a hike and then make friendship bracelets or something... which is just wonderful.

Not that I don't want to, I love hiking and making bracelets, but it's just... Malachi.

After breakfast had ended, my thoughts of him just continued. I don't why it was such a big deal to me, but I couldn't stop thinking about it.

"Lizzie!" He shouts, waving me over to him.

Oh, wonderful.

I hesitate to do so, but I do eventually walk over to him. Why is he so much taller than me?

"Hey. You still tired?" He asks me, and I shake my head.

"No, I'm good. Thank you." I mutter, avoiding his eyes.

He snaps his fingers at me. "Look me in the eyes when we're talking, Lizzie."

"Sorry." I mumble, making eye contact with him.

"Don't apologize, but if you don't make eye contact I'm gonna assume you're hiding something." He explains.

"Oh. Well, I'm not." I reply, yet I find myself avoiding his eyes again.

"Am I making you nervous?" He asks me, and my face heats up.

"No. Shut up." I whisper, and he laughs. "Okay, maybe a little bit."

"Awh, yeah?" He teases, and I put my hands on his chest, shoving him backwards. "No need to get physical, Lizzie."

"I hate you." I mumble, walking away from him to begin the hike.

One of us has to be at the front, and one of us has to be at the back so that we don't lose any kids, so we can't really talk at all during the hike.

I take the front, since I hike often and enjoy the task. Malachi takes the back, and I hope that he's athletic enough to complete the hike without letting the kids drag behind too much.

He looks like he is, but hiking takes stamina. I'm sure he'll do fine.

The hike goes well... for the most part. Everyone besides me is absolutely worn out, but I still have plenty of energy.