37. Gone

Annika had spent much longer upstairs than she had anticipated. She had been sure she was about to vomit, and spent several minutes breathing through it before the nausea had subsided. By the time she wandered downstairs, the party was in full swing with the band playing on the temporary stage. She watched with a grin as her uncle danced with his wife, flinging her away from himself before twirling her back into his embrace. As they gazed into each other's eyes, their faces softened by love, Annika's thoughts drifted off into a dream of what the future held for her. Her future with Caia. With their children. She wondered what things would be like in ten, twenty, thirty years. Perhaps one day it would be their turn to dance at Hallie's wedding. Whatever it was the future held, the important thing was that it would be theirs, and she couldn't be more grateful for every single second of it.

"Nika, sweetie," Lori called, waving her over. "Have you tried the canapes? They're delicious."

Just the sight of the food made Annika's stomach turn. "No, but thank you." She offered a polite smile. "I've been too nervous to eat. Perhaps I'll try them a little later."

"You're missing out," Skye said swiping from the platter as the caterer swept past. "I bet your wife would love these."

Annika grinned. "Speaking of Caia, have you seen her?"

"Nope," Skye said through a mouthful of food. "Probably off talking to her bitch of a—"

"Skye," Annika warned. "Save the well-deserved insults for another day please. Don't ruin my vibe on my wedding day."

Skye rolled her eyes before downing the last of her champagne. "Last I saw she was—" She narrowed her eyes at the sound of crying coming from inside. "Is that—"

"Hallie," Annika said, already moving through the crowd, following the sound. She rushed inside, almost colliding with her daughter in the kitchen. "Sweetheart. What's wrong?"

Fierce tears shook through Hallie's chest as she sobbed. She wrapped her arms around Annika's legs, holding her tight, until Annika lifted her into her arms.

"Bug," Annika whispered. "What's wrong?"

Hallie howled. Her sobbing intensified as she collapsed against Annika's chest. "It..." She gulped for air, trying to speak through her tears. "There was..." Her breathing began to worry Annika as she gasped for air.

"It's okay, bub. Just try and breathe." Annika rubbed soothing circles over Hallie's back. "Just breathe." She went to the lounge and sat, cradling her daughter in her arms, while Skye sat beside them.

"Mummy," Hallie whined.

"I'm here," Annika said. "I've got you."

Hallie shook her head violently. "No. Mummy." She pointed in the direction of the garage.

Skye followed the gesture before glancing at Annika, then Hallie. "Are you looking for your other mama, bug?"

"Mama gone," Hallie said before falling into another fit of tears. "Scary."

"Mama was scary?" Annika asked, growing more and more concerned with every second that passed. Perhaps Caia had had a fight with her mother. Perhaps she had lost her temper. But she would never do that in front of Hallie.

"No," Hallie whined, and gasped for air before continuing. "Scary man. Mama gone with scary man in car."

Ice ran through Annika's veins. "Mama went in the car?"

Hallie nodded. "With scary, mean man."

Annika glanced at Skye, who was as still as a statue. "It couldn't be," Skye said.