Crates

Nobody move.

Animals look harmless in their sleep - it's pretty deceptive since they may wake up and attack, or just continue lying on the ground. But what happens when they awake in the darkness? An empty void of nothingness. To any human, it could be extremely frightening.

Ayana was too tired to get scared. The first time she woke up, she immediately went back to sleep.

The second time, Ayana tried to sprawl her body and possibly wake her muscles. Then her claws scraped wood.

Wood.

Ayana struggled, kicking her legs - but her movements were restricted. Nothing but wood. With dull horror, Ayana realized that something was wrong.

Yes, that's it. Ayana'll be back in her habitat. Where all she needs is some brush, thick vegetation, her tree for hiding and sleeping. Where she rested in the heat of the day in the bushes and caves, or even up in her trees. Ayana would always have her long tail to help her to balance on narrow tree branches.

But she was already awake.

This was all her fault. Ayana curled in on herself, grasping her biceps tightly in a self embrace.

Then a soft voice spoke up.

"Ugh...Oh, my head." The voice groan. It was close and familiar, so familiar Ayana almost snapped out of her grogginess. She began to embrace herself again, but she felt something bump into her. It didn't bother her, that is until she found out where it bumped her. Right in her side.

Ayana slumped to her left, the thumps being the only source of anything besides silence.

"What the...?" The voice spoke again. "Wait. Where...? What...?" Ayana heard more bumps, the vibrations less tough but present. "I'm in a box!" The voice cried out. "I'm in a box! Oh, no. No, no! Not the box."

It was a long time ago when she too was put in a box, but that was a story for another time. Alex spoke of his experience before. Being trapped and you weren't able to do a thing.

"Oh, no, they can't transfer me. Not me!" The voice became sharp like a feeble kitten. The voice turned out to be male.

"Oh, I can't breathe. I can't breathe. Darkness creeping in."

Ayana pricked her ears up, now fully awake and alert. The adrenaline rush giving her enough to lift her head in the dimness of the box.

That patch of anxiety reviving itself again.

"I can't breathe. I can't breathe. Walls closing in around me. So alone. So alone."

"Alex?" Ayana spoke softly, surprising herself of just how hoarse her voice was.

"Ayana?" He said quietly.

"Yeah, it's me."

"Ayana! Oh no! I- you- we're..." Alex trailed off into a hush. The fear in his voice was obvious. And she couldn't gather the strength to break free from the box and comfort him.

"I know." She responded, followed by a long pause between them. They both receded into their bodies and held themselves close.