Short, sweet, and supple stories about the practice of yoga.
I've been a occasional yogi for more than fifteen years, but recently I decided make yoga a more regular part of my life. Why? Well, it's complicated, but the short answer is that I'm getting older. As I age, I find it harder to sit in my chair, which makes it harder to write. But sitting isn't just a physical concern. The mind is a noisy place, and when I sit down in front of my computer that noise can build to a cacophony, especially when I go online. Yoga, I've found, helps me quiet my mind.
At its core, this journal is a way for me to hold myself accountable. Pulling a story from my yoga practice first requires that I show up to practice. Like the old saying goes, 90 percent of life is just showing up. But what about the other 10 percent? Well, I'd like for this journal to be a place where we can explore that too, whether that exploration takes the form of a silly story, or something approaching an epiphany. Yoga is a sanskrit word that means union, and just as "union" can be understood in many different ways, this diary, in a sense, is a union of the physical, mental, and spiritual aspects of this writer's life.
I invite you to read along. If you practice yoga, please consider sharing your thoughts in the comments. And if you don't practice yoga, please consider sharing your thoughts in the comments. This is a diary, but I'd also like for it to be a forum.
And... namaste awhile...