Close to Me {Poe Dameron}

By kimmyiewrites

Even though we both know we're liars And we start each other's fires ... More

Cast
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-two
twenty-four
twenty-five
twenty-six
twenty-seven
twenty-eight
twenty-nine
thirty
thirty-one
thirty-two
thirty-three
thirty-four
thirty-five

twenty-three

168 8 0
By kimmyiewrites

AN: I apologize for the wait. We're getting closer and closer to where I've left off writing and I want to be pretty far in advance before posting the next chapter and well I also took a bit of a break from writing it to work on another project of mine. Kat and Poe had been so loud for so long that I jumped at the chance to work on something else when they quieted some. ANYWAYS I hope you like this next chapter and happy holidays!

✧☆✧

Once the connection ended, Kat made her way back to the control station. She didn't know what Ben had to do but she couldn't dwell on that. She had a Resistance to lead and a plan to create. Poe looked towards her, tears in his eyes, when she approached, D'Acy having just delivered that the First Order had destroyed Kijimi.

"What's happened?" She asked, placing a hand on his arm, concern written all over her face.

He winced slightly at the tenderness he still had after the bacta treatment for his arm. Kat noticed and figured that was where he had been shot. She gently swiped her thumb over the spot, trying to soothe any aching as she waited for him to tell her what was going on.

"A blast from a Star Destroyer has just destroyed the entire planet of Kijimi." He told her and she immediately brought him into a hug.

"When did Star Destroyers have that kind of gun power?" Kat asked as she pulled away to face the others standing at the main console. She slid her hand into his while she waited for an answer. He gave her hand a squeeze and she turned back briefly, smiling softly before returning to business.

"It was a ship out of the new Sith fleet, out of the unknowns," D'Acy answered.

Beaumont came around from the other console to speak with the group. "The Emperor sent a ship from Exegol. Does that mean that the entire fleet..."

"Has planet-killing weapons." Poe finished the other man's thought. "Of course they do. All of them. This is how he ends it."

Some static started to come through their main communications hub as a new message from the Emperor was sent out. "Listen. It's on every frequency." Rose pointed out.

"The Resistance is dead. The Sith flame will burn." Beaumont translated from the muffled sound. "All worlds, surrender or die. The Final Order begins."

Everyone turned to Kat and Poe, who then turned to look at each other. Tears sprang to her eyes. Would she ever stop crying today? There was so much coming at her and this was easily becoming the fight of their lives and neither newly appointed general was confident in their leading abilities.

"I need a moment." Kat gasped out before hurrying off to Leia's quarters.

Rose started to go after her but Poe stopped her. "I got this, this time." They both shared a small smile before Poe hurried off after Kat.

He found her at the side of Leia's bed, head buried in her arms as her shoulders shook as she cried. He made sure to announce his arrival before sitting down next to her. When she still didn't look up, he touched her arm gently. "You know I think I prefer the pacing to this." He said, trying to get some kind of reaction out of her.

She let out a strangled laugh and finally raised her head to look at him. "How are we supposed to do this, Poe? All of our previous plans ended horribly. Now we're up against a massive fleet with Death Star level weapons on all of the ships? How are we supposed to win this one?"

"I gotta be honest, Kat. I'm not really sure. I don't know how Leia did this. How you do this. I'm not ready for this but I will be by your side however you need me to be."

"And you think I'm ready for this? When I first joined everyone thought I was some party princess from Naboo who was only here because I had nothing else to do. You even thought the same."

"I was wrong then. Horribly wrong. You came in and kicked ass and took names the moment you stepped foot on base. I was just too blinded to see that in the beginning." He let out a small sigh. "There's got to be a way to stop this."

"Your guess is as good as mine."

"Can I throw in a guess?" Lando said, emerging from where he and Chewbacca were talking further into the cave.

Both heads whipped around to see him step out of the shadows but only Kat hopped up and went to his side. "Uncle Lando, I'm so glad you're here." She said as she hugged him.

He chuckled, wrapping his arms around Kat. "And miss you taking over? Never."

Kat pulled back, shaking her head. "No, I'm not ready for this. I thought I could be but..."

"And you think we were?" Lando asked. "Luke, Han, Leia, me. Who's ever ready?"

"Then how'd you do it?" Poe asked, coming to stand beside Kat. "Defeat an empire with almost nothing."

"We had each other," Lando answered nudging Kat a little closer to Poe. "I've heard all about you two practically since the start of this thing. You wanna know how we won? Relying on each other, especially those we loved."

Poe and Kat slowly looked towards each other. He reached up and tucked a strand of hair that had come out of her braid behind her ear. "I'm gonna go find Finn. Tell him the news then meet back at the command station?"

Kat nodded. "See you there."

Once Poe was gone Lando laughed. "You know, I'm really not all that surprised you wound up with a pilot. Your father has got to be hating every minute of it."

Kat blushed. "Yeah, he wasn't exactly thrilled when he found out that it was a possibility."

"Leia set it up didn't she?"

"One hundred percent." She laughed. "Are you sticking around? We could really use you."

"And miss all this? Not a chance. What's going on in that head of yours?" He asked as he draped an arm around her shoulders as they headed out to the command station.

✧☆✧

"General, we got something," Poe said as he and Finn, along with D-O, approached her.

"As do I, General." She smiled at the two men.

"This first," Finn said, pulling her in for a hug.

Kat laughed a bit as she returned the hug.

"I'm so sorry Kat." He gave her an extra squeeze.

Closing her eyes to keep the tears at bay, she hugged him back just as tight. "While I appreciate the sentiment, I'd rather not cry for the five millionth time today."

Finn chuckled as he pulled away. "Right, sorry."

"Oh, right. Kat, meet your new Army General." Poe said as he motioned towards Finn.

Kat smiled. "You know, I'm really not all surprised. Congratulations, Finn. Now, what was it you two had to say?"

Finn smiled his thanks as Poe motioned to the small cone faced droid in between him and Finn. Kat crouched down to get a good look, smiling softly at the new droid. "Who's this?" She asked.

"I am Dio." The droid said as Poe also introduced them.

"They have information on Exegol. They were going with Ochi of Bestoon." Finn explained.

"Why were you going there?" Kat asked the droid.

"Take girl from Jakku to Exegol. Alive. Emperor wants her." D-O answered.

Kat popped up looking between the two men. "Does this mean what I think it means?"

Finn nodded. "The Emperor's wanted Rey all along. We have to find her and help her."

"What was it that you wanted to tell us?" Poe asked.

"Lando and I figured out a way to get more people. Crait had to have been a bust. I don't believe that no one wouldn't come and help if Leia sent out a message," Kat said.

"And we're going to get more people, how?" Finn asked.

"Lando and Chewie are going to take the Falcon to the Core Systems and send out a signal. People will come if they know that there's hope." Kat smiled. "Now how about we learn all we can about Exegol from our new friend here, shall we?"

✧☆✧

Kat called for a meeting with everyone. They discussed what they had learned and what they could plan to do. Thanks to Rose they knew what they needed to target in order to stop the entire fleet from leaving and Finn offered to recruit the friends they had made on Endor. Lando and Chewie would join the Resistance Naval fleet once they made it through all of the Core Systems which Poe would be leading. Finn, along with Rose and potentially Jannah, would take the ground portion of the fight. Kat would leave the command station to D'Acy for she planned on participating in the Naval attack since they could use as many pilots as they could possibly get. Now all they needed was a map to get them there.

"I'm terribly sorry," C-3PO said as they and R2-D2 approached, "but Artoo's memory bank must be crossed with their logic receptors. They say they're receiving a transmission from Master Luke."

Kat, Poe, Finn, and Rose looked at each other puzzled before Kat moved out the way so Artoo could plug into the console to show the readings he was receiving.

"That's an old ID craft," Poe said.

Recognizing the number, Kat grinned. "That's Luke's x-wing."

"It's transmitting course marker signals on its way to the Unknown Region."

Finn smiled. "It's Rey. She's showing us how to get to Exegol."

"Alright everyone, suit up!" Poe exclaimed, dispersing the crowd. 

✧☆✧

After Kat got into her jumpsuit, she hurried over to where Lando and Chewbacca were loading into the Falcon. "What'd ya think? Think she's ready to retire after this?" She asked Lando.

He laughed. "Are you really going to give me my ship back?"

"Eh, I don't know about that one. I think I might miss flying her too much." She smiled as she hugged him. "Thanks for giving me that extra boost of confidence. I hope I make them proud."

"Oh, you already have."

Chewbacca growled interrupting the moment causing them both to laugh.

"You really think I would ever forget you?" Kat asked as she hugged her other uncle. "I'm sorry I'm just now getting to hug you."

He grunted, squeezing her tight.

"Yeah, I miss her already too."

He pulled back, placing his hands on her shoulders, looking at her with the most serious expression she'd ever seen before he growled.

She teared up but nodded. "You always got me too. I'll see you at the end of this. I love you." She saw Lando approaching. "Love you both." She gave one last hug to both of them before sending them off.

With the Falcon in the air, she made her rounds, checking on everyone. When she got to Rose and Finn, she gave them both a tight hug. "Look after each other out there and I'm expecting you both to come back in one piece. I can't rebuild a republic without you in it."

Rose wrapped Kat into another hug. She hugged her as tight as she could, making up for the hug she didn't get to give to Paige before she took on the dreadnought. This battle would be their last one for better or for worse. Of course, she hoped that it all would work out but she wanted to give Kat just an extra bit of love. "Be safe yourself."

Finn also gave her one last hug. He may not have known Kat for very long, especially on the personal level they now had but he considered her family. He of course wanted everyone to come back but the woman currently in his arms was one of the few he would be devastated about if she didn't. "Look out for each other up in the sky too and may the force be with you."

"You as well." Kat smiled at him before taking off to check in with others.

The last person on her list was Poe. She was headed in the direction his X-Wing was located but it seemed like he was headed for her A-Wing. She did a double-take when she thought she saw him run right past her. She stopped, laughing to herself as she turned to check and sure enough there he was doing the same.

They hurried back towards each other and met in the middle with a kiss. Poe pulled her to him, wrapping his arms around her waist as Kat's hands tangled in his curls, pulling him to her. It was messy and desperate, expressing everything they couldn't say.

"You are to stay right behind me," Poe said when they pulled apart.

"I'll be there for as long as I can. I'm not going to let others be unguarded if I have the chance to watch their backs."

Poe let out a sigh and kissed her deeply for a brief moment. "Come back to me."

"I will if you will," Kat promised.

"I will." He smiled at her and Kat kissed him one last time, pouring all the love she couldn't quite vocalize into it. Poe reciprocated easily, holding her as close to him as he could. The weight of his mother's wedding ring had never felt so heavy.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

201K 10.2K 89
Being flat broke is hard. To overcome these hardships sometimes take extreme measures, such as choosing to become a manager for the worst team in Blu...
211K 4.9K 55
โ i loved you so hard for a time, i've tried to ration it out all my life. โž kate martin x fem! oc
225K 35.2K 92
แ€•แ€ผแ€”แ€บแ€žแ€ฐแ€™แ€›แ€พแ€ญแ€แ€ฑแ€ฌแ€ทแ€˜แ€ฐแ€ธแ€†แ€ญแ€ฏแ€œแ€ญแ€ฏแ€ท แ€šแ€ฐแ€•แ€ผแ€”แ€บแ€œแ€ญแ€ฏแ€€แ€บแ€•แ€ผแ€ฎ แ€Ÿแ€ฎแ€ธแ€Ÿแ€ฎแ€ธ แ€–แ€แ€บแ€•แ€ฑแ€ธแ€€แ€ผแ€•แ€ซแ€ฅแ€ฎแ€ธ
99.7K 1.4K 50
๐ˆ๐ญ๐ฌ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐Ÿ๐ข๐ซ๐ฌ๐ญ ๐๐š๐ฒ ๐›๐š๐œ๐ค ๐ญ๐จ ๐ฌ๐œ๐ก๐จ๐จ๐ฅ , ๐€๐š๐ฅ๐ข๐ฒ๐š๐ก ๐ข๐ฌ ๐ง๐จ๐ฐ ๐ข๐ง ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐ญ๐ก ๐ ๐ซ๐š๐๐ž, ๐ฐ๐ก๐ข๐ฅ๐ž ๐ฌ๐ก๐ž๐ฌ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ซ๐ž ๐ฌ๐ก...