Royal Obligations

By FictionalCasualtiez

Cordelia doesn't have a last name. She doesn't have a family. And she doesn't have a home. She's been stuck i... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: One Way Ticket
Chapter 2: The Switch
Chapter 3: Assumptions
Chapter 4: Team Cinderella
Chapter 5: To Pull an America Singer
Chapter 6: The Company of Forrest
Chapter 7: Predictable Behavior
Chapter 8: Open Secrets of Cordelia Schreave
Chapter 9: The Secret Dictionary To Affection.
Chapter 10: The America Singer Part Two
Chapter 11: Honest Truths
Chapter 12: The One and Only Lucy Leger
Chapter 14: Jealousy
Chapter 15: The Return of Lila
Chapter 16: The Perfect King
Chapter 17: Schizophrenic
Chapter 18: Teamwork Material
Chapter 19: Fatal Truths
Chapter 20: Knight In Shining Armor
Chapter 21: Phase Two
Chapter 22: Frenzy
Chapter 23: The Fall of A Queen
Chapter 24: Choice(s)
Chapter 25: Dear Lila
Chapter 26: Practice Makes Perfect
Chapter 27: Old Habits
Chapter 28: The Best Part
Chapter 29: Enough Is Never Enough
Chapter 30: Dangerous Territory
Chapter 31: Lost and Found
Chapter 32: To Kill or Be Killed
Chapter 33: One Dead. One Broken.
Chapter 34: The Competition Grows
Chapter 35: His Diabolical Plan
Chapter 36: New Plan
Chapter 37: Team Forrest
Chapter 38: The Mercenaries
Chapter 39: The Ghost In The Mirror
Chapter 40: False Regret
Chapter 41: I Love Him; I Love Him Not
Chapter 42: Chased By A Demon
Chapter 43: You Can Call Me Lila
Chapter 44: Bone Shattering Relief
Chapter 45: Patterns
Chapter 46: One Simple Question
Chapter 47: Honesty Is The Best Policy
Chapter 48: Deaths and Threats
chapter 49: 150 Dresses
Chapter 50: The Coronation
Chapter 51: Walking Dead
Chapter 52: Those Wedding Bells Ring
Epilogue

Chapter 13: Forrest's Favorite

1.3K 69 25
By FictionalCasualtiez

As I predicted, Prince Harlan knocked on my door later that afternoon. I had two hours to spare, which meant Elise fixed me up so Harlan wouldn't suspect a thing.

He thought my note was amusing, and the glow of happiness on his face actually struck me with worry. Could I have possibly made a dent in my own progress?

"I'll see you at dinner tonight, Cordelia." he says before exiting my room.

No kiss of the hand. No, 'I'll see you later tonight'. Nothing.

All because I wanted to figure out a way to wrap Forrest around my finger.

The next couple of days were utterly boring, because I spent them in the woman's room listening to banter and listening to Felicity go on and on about their date. It made me a little angry hearing all of this... Well it wasn't exactly anger. I'm not sure what it was, but I didn't like it. Not at all. Then she mentioned going out with him last night, and I felt my control slipping through my fingers.

If I lose Harlan, I had to go to Forrest. And I could not let that happen.

That same afternoon was the same afternoon The Report would be having an interview with Harlan and Forrest. So I wore a pale pink dress, nothing special. Although, maybe I should have worn something more elegant, because all the girls were dressed and painted to perfection.

Wonderful.

I sit down and watch as Forrest and Harlan stand off to the side, talking to each other intently. Forrest would say something, snarky I bet, and Harlan would laugh. It was hard not to watch them. I rarely got to witness brotherly love.

"Alright people! We're on in five!" the producer shouts as Uriah takes a seat, and Prince Forrest and Prince Harlan take a seat across from him.

"Five... Four..." the camera man then turns silent and counts with his finger until he reaches one.

"Hello Illéa!" Uriah greets with a smirk. "I know you have all been waiting for an update on how our princes our doing when it comes to finding their wives. So without further ado, Prince Forrest and Prince Harlan Schreave!"

Forrest smirks at the camera and I internally scoff. Harlan just gives the camera a polite smile.

"Let's start with you, Harlan. Is it alright that I call you Harlan?"

Harlan laughs lightly. "Of course. Go ahead," He urges.

"What are your thoughts on the selected? Have you been on any dates yet?"

"I actually have," Harlan laughs. "A couple actually."

Yeah of course he has, I think bitterly.

"Would you mind giving out the names?" Uriah presses. "And have you been out with a girl more than once?"

"Yes, I'm afraid I do mind, I respect their privacy." Harlan doesn't say it in a mean way, he was most sincere. "And two, also a yes. There are a lot of amazing girls here. I have enjoyed getting to know some of them so far." he smiles warmly.

"How about you, Forrest? Any special lady?"

Taylor

"Yes actually," Forrest smirks. "She's quite special." he leans over in his chair and his eyes flicker over toward us.

"Oh? Are you going to tell us who?" He asks.

"Sure, why not?"

I see the cocky smirk on Taylor's face from the corner of my eye and actually scoff out loud this time.

"She's been getting busy." Felicity mutters beside me and I look over at her in shock.

Felicity just shrugs at my reaction.

"Well?" Uriah presses. "We will sure interview her."

Forrest grins mischievously, and that's when worry begins to creep up inside me.

"Her name is Cordelia... and I don't believe she has a last name." Forrest says and I see Harlan tense beside him. My eyes go wide as all the girls turn their heads toward me, and I look over at Forrest.

I was going to kill him.

"Come on up, Lady Cordelia." Uriah says. "No need to be shy."

I swallow and stand up slowly.

He was doing this to torment me. He was trying to humiliate me in front of all of Illéa. Well. I wasn't going to let that happen.

I plaster a big grin on my face as I make my way up to the platform where the interview is taking place.

I take a seat between Forrest and Harlan on the long couch and take a deep breath. I could call myself an actress. This was nothing I couldn't handle. Forrest has the tendency to underestimate me.

"So you're the girl Forrest is talking about? You must be very special." Uriah laughs.

"I guess so," I smile toward him. "Well, to Prince Forrest I am. I don't find myself to be all that special." I say.

Uriah frowns. "Why not Cordelia?"

"I don't think I am anymore special than the girls sitting across from me." I say it like I'm being honest. "After all, it's just the beginning. I wouldn't put myself before anyone else." I say and look down at my hands, pretending to be agitated.

"Well Cordelia, that was a very sweet thing to say."

I look up at Uriah with a warm smile. "It's the truth."

Uriah gives me a bright smile before turning back to the camera. "That's all for tonight, Illéa. Stay turned for our live footage of the upcoming Autumn Ball!"

There is a loud buzzer before the cameras pull away.

"Great show," Uriah smiles at us, holding out a hand toward me.

I shake his hand and grin back at him. "Pleasure meeting you, Uriah."

"You as well, Cordelia."

I nod before making my way back toward my seat, the rest of the selected with the exception of Felicity were glaring at me.

They could glare all they wanted to, but it wasn't going to solve their problems. And it also wasn't going to intimidate me. It takes a lot more than that to get under my skin.

"Unfortunately we will be letting some of you go tonight." Harlan says, his usual 'always in good mood' tone was now gone. "If we call your name, please exit the studio and head to your rooms."

The first name called was Felicity, and she stood up with a small smile and left the room.

Names were called, one after another. It wasn't until there were ten of us left doubt crept up in me.

Then I pushed it down immediately.

I wasn't going anywhere.

"Cordelia," Harlan says and I stand up. I smile at both of them before leaving the room.

And I would have hell to pay afterward.

***

Dear Angry Thoughts,

I feel like it's only a matter of time before Forrest cracks my code, and that worries me to no extent. I will not be caught by a royal play boy. Who did he think he was, anyway?

The prince. Because that's exactly what he was. He could do whatever he wanted, and that only angered me further.

My grasp on Harlan is slipping through my fingers like sand, and I'm having a hard time holding on to whats left. I'm pretty sure Forrest blew away what was left.

I didn't want him to be my backup. I didn't want someone like him making my empty life even more empty. But on the other hand, I couldn't help but admit how he made me feel. Of course I liked it when he touched me and kissed me. He was right when it came to intimacy, I had no idea what I was doing. That's why I observed Elise and Michael. So I would know what to do when the time came.

My thoughts are all over the place in this entry, but this is one of those entires where I just need to dump stray thoughts onto paper. So they don't continue to swarm around in my head like bees and haunt me.

I do sincerely apologize,

Cordelia

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

378K 7K 67
The beloved prince of Illéa, Maxon Schreave, has finally picked America Singer to be his wife, and the future queen of their country. Though everythi...
108K 1.2K 29
Completed: What if America didn't find out about her father passing until the morning? What if Maxon didn't hear that crash in the hallway the night...
31.6K 365 49
⚠️READ THE SELECTION BOOKS BEFORE ! "Hello, my dear," he whispers. "Don't start," I warn in return, and we're both left smiling. He holds my hands as...
78.5K 1.9K 44
~ 'Matthew slid closer to me so our bodies were pressed up against each other in a not to intimate way. "I hope I cross your mind every once in a whi...