Just A Shadow (RWBY male read...

By MichaelStotts2

well fuck here we are, first attempt at writing in fuck knows how long. ehm this story is gonna be a bit...di... More

Chapter 1: The Dark
Chapter 2: Unexpected
Chapter 3: Here to Stay
Chapter 4: A Dance in the Dustshop
Chapter 5: The Wizard of Oz
Chapter 6: Meeting The Family
Chapter 7: Beacon Academy
Chapter 8: Beacon Academy pt 2
chapter 9: Initiation
Chapter 10: The Emerald Forest
Chapter 11: A Challenger Approaches
Chapter 12: Ugly Scars
Chapter 13: Can Still Heal
Chapter 14: Musical Morning
wtf?
Chapter 15: We Are Atlas Now
News on Chapter 16
Halftime
Chapter 16: Get Up
sorry
Chapter 17: Grace in the Grey
Chapter 18: Its Okay to be Afraid
hello again!
The Break: Goodbye, To A World
V2 Ch1: Round Two
V2 Ch2: Introductions
back on track!
V2: Ch3: In The Rear With The Gear
Important! Please vote!
V2 Ch4: Talk the Talk, Walk the Walk
Y/n's shadows/Umbrakinesis
V2 Ch5: The Rain
teeny tiny vote
little piece o news
V2 Ch6: Burden of the Blade
(small) V2 Ch7: Pre-Party
(small) V2 Ch8: Tapping the Brakes
V2 Ch8: "Dance Dance...Somethin"
V2 Ch9: Mission Morning
very important schedule update.
V2 Ch10: "Reconnaissance"
V2 Finale: "Enemy At The Gates"
The Interim
quick question!
V3 Ch1: Fever Dream
V3 Ch2: Ashes and Blood
Lets Do This
V3 Finale: Vanished
heheh
Guess whos fucking back
is anyone still there..?
VOLUME 4 CH 1: Deathless
V4 Ch2: A Colder Place
V4 Ch3: Buried In The Ashes

V3 Ch3: Omens

1K 25 85
By MichaelStotts2

(Hue? How's everyone doing after the last chapter? I doubt many people were expecting it!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

3rd Person Pov

Y/n: "This is...the worst...like, ever."

David: "To be fair, you're the one who sent them away."

Y/n scowled slightly from his upright position on the bed. It was now noon of the next day, and he had just woken up from his medically induced sleep a few hours ago. Blake had taken over for Weiss on their watch of sorts, and of course was quick to alert the rest of the team to the fact he was awake.

The girls had spent a good hour catching him up on what had happened, with of course David, who was present at the time, clearing up any gray areas. To his knowledge, he caught a violent case of flashbacks, and his heart, as well as most of his critical brain functions, summarily checked out for a solid two minutes.

Turning his attention to the male nurse at his bedside, who seemed to be doing checks on the couple pieces of medical equipment he was still attached to, Y/n regarded David with what almost seemed like contempt at the man's remark.

Y/n: "Its the Vytal Festival Tournament. I'm not gonna let any of them sit in here, wallowing over me when they could be out there, enjoying all of it."

Replying with a simple hum, David finished checking the equipment before turning his attention to Y/n himself, speaking to the boy with rigid stoicism.

David: "Hold still."

David shut his eyes for a few moments, opening them once more as his eyes turned a pure emerald green, with seemingly no pupils. Despite the absence of irises however, Y/n could still feel David's gaze move up and down his person.

David: "Interesting..."

Quickly blinking, David's eyes suddenly returned to their natural state.

"You seem to be just fine physically. But you pretty much short circuited your entire nervous system. Moving is going to feel strange, alien. It'll take you a while to acclimate, and you definitely won't be fighting in any tournament."

Y/n: "So what your saying is I pretty much need to learn to walk again?"

David: "It won't be that hard. I'd give it a day or two. Your nerves will teach themselves once they all finish waking up. Once that happens you'll be on your feet like nothing ever happened."

Grasping his pen and clipboard on the bedside table, David seemed as if he was about to write something down, but stopped, seemingly conflicted as to what he should write down. It wasn't hard for Y/n to pick up on.

Y/n: "I haven't seen you hesitate on anything since the moment you walked in here. Just spill it already."

Rolling his eyes in the first display of emotion Y/n had witnessed from the man, David dropped his clipboard into the trash can.

David: "You've recovered extremely fast. Any normal person would find themselves stuck in this room for a month after what you just went through."

Seemingly finding no pleasure in explaining himself, David swiftly yet painlessly removed Y/n's IV, discarding the device with noticeable disdain.

"Not to mention your wired weird too. Your nerves are all tied around in a way I've never even seen before, and your bones are denser than anything I've seen. Its like your made of fucking tungsten."

Shaking his head at the informational overload David was giving him, Y/n quickly halted the nurse.

Y/n: "Ok, first off, how do you even know all this? I wasn't out long enough for you to get a scan on all that."

Rolling his eyes again, David blinked, his eyes changing to their glowing emerald once more, before blinking again, returning to normal.

David: "Its my semblance. I can basically read your body like a book. Figured it out when my little brother got stabbed in a mugging. I was able to see the artery that got nicked and hold it shut until helped showed up."

Smacking himself lightly on the head for oversharing, David pinched the bridge of his nose in either frustration or confusion.

"My point is, I've worked on a lot of different people, kid. Humans, Faunas, all of em, from every walk of life. And I ain't seen anything like you. Medically at least."

Seeming finished with his work, David quickly moved towards the door, intent on being done with this conversation.

"Ya ain't human kid. Or a Faunas. I don't know what you are to be honest, but it ain't my problem anymore. Good luck with it. Bathroom is across the hall. Someone will be bringing food."

Having seemingly nothing more to say, and leaving Y/n frankly speechless with the tirade he had just been on, David swiftly left the room, not bothering to close the door on the way out.

For several minutes silence infected the room now solely occupied by the umbral student which now sat staring at the wall across the room. His expression gave no tell of his thoughts on the bombshell just dropped on him, but sharp silver eyes seemed to display everything he was feeling.

Confusion, denial, anger, realization and even calm blitzed through his mind at speeds immeasurable by man. He wasn't human?

How? He was from earth, born of human parents, the product of a human bloodline. It shouldn't be possible for him to be anything other than human!

He didnt understand at all, and it pissed him off..! But at the same time, it somehow all made sense!

All those weeks ago, when Roman's little henchwoman, Neo, ran him through with a blade the length of his arm, he was back on his feet fighting 8n a week! And he didnt even relieved professional medical help, they burned it, wrapped it and left it!

He was on the edge of the bed now, his feet resting firmly on the ground as he shakily pulled himself to his feet, grabbing his clothes off the chair next to the bed. He continued to stare in thought as he wobbled out of the room and across the hall, shutting himself in the bathroom David had mentioned.

The more everything made sense, the worse his headache became, but his mind was in overdrive now, and it wasn't slowing down.

Is that why he felt so strange on earth? Why he never belonged? But if thats the case, why did he feel so at home on Remnant? Not a human, not a Faunas...what was he?

Whatever he was, was it why he was sent here instead of dying? Was it the reason for his strange ability to control the dark?

He rose to his feet once more after tying his shoes, still wobbling, but already to a noticeably less degree. Leaning on the granite countertop to support his weight, he ran the faucet, letting his hands fill with cold water before splashing his face, rubbing his closed eyes shortly after.

Finally exposing his silver eyes to the air once more, he let his gaze rest on his shadowed hands as they supported him on the countertop, his form wasn't even flickering at his distance from Ruby, who was easily a mile away at the festival.

At the thought of Ruby his eyes wandered to the mirror in front of him, silver meeting silver as he locked eyes with himself. Even his reflection was...alien, bearing his natural pale skin rather than the shadowy pigment of his physical form. He was unable to think on the difference for long as Ruby invaded his thoughts once more. A part of him wondered, a small part, but it wondered nonetheless...

What would she think? What did this mean for them?

He gripped the side of his head as he banished the unwelcome thoughts. He knew better. Whether he was human or not, that wasn't something Ruby would let stop her. His brow furrowed in stray thought however as he battled to reel his thoughts into control.

'But what does it mean for us? Are we even technically compatible? What about our ki-'

Anothersplash of even colder water managed to halt the bullet train of his mind. Now wasn't the time to be thinking about...that...

Although his physical form couldn't, he scoffed slightly at his flustered and blushing reflection. Finally turning the facet back off, he collected himself as he stepped back into the hallway. Focusing on walking back into the room he was to be staying in and shutting the door, finally suppressing the heat that assaulted his face.

8n the sea of confusion he was floating through, it brought him comfort to know Ruby had such an effect on him. He stumbled his way to the balcony, opening the sliding glass door and leaning on the railing, gazing out over Beacon Academy, the festival grounds, Amity in the sky and the great bay beyond.

He could worry about what he was later, but first and foremost...

Whatever made him react like that...he wasn't surprised he had flashbacks during team JNPR's match with team BRNZ. He was expecting it. It wasn't the first time he had them either. During his first month or two on Remnant, they were common. Almost nightly.

But never had he been so...susceptible to one before. It was of course entirely possible that he had a more intense fit this time...but it shouldn't have been that intense...right?

He wasn't sure how long he stood on the balcony, but it must have been for a while, because when he looked up from his thoughts, the sun had began to go down, gracing the horizon with its first hints of orange. An omen of the coming sunset.

Deciding that was enough standing for today, he quickly shuffled back to the bed, laying down as he rested his legs that seemed surprisingly sore, closing eyes that were suddenly so heavy. He may be recovering fast, but he felt weak. And the mental gymnastics he had been putting himself through for who knows how long were likely beginning to take a toll on him.

???: "How ya holdin' up kid?"

Forcing his eyes open again, he was surprised to see the familiar face of Qrow Branwen, leaning in the doorway to the balcony where he had just been.

Y/n: "Well, I'm alive. Should I even ask how you got there?"

Qrow: "Well, there's no fun in the trick if the magician straight up tells you his secret right?"

Despite the level of smart-ass in Qrow's response, still Y/n finding himself smiling at the wisecrack.

Y/n: "Well I guess an old drunk is better company than a sociopath."

Qrow finally entered the room officially, walking closer to the bed and dropping a large brown paper bag on the nightstand, before planting himself in the chair still next to the bed. Perfectly in character, he produced his handy flask, and took a pull.

Qrow: "Yeah, well this 'old drunk' just brought you food, so your welcome."

Y/n: "Well at least your good for something. So, what makes me so special tonight? Y'know, besides you being a fast food delivery boy in your spare time."

Qrow scoffed at the tired jab from the shadow in front of him. He had to admit, if there was one thing he liked a lot about the kid, he could talk some shit. Good for banter.

Qrow: "I got a chance to catch up with my nieces earlier. What happened to you, was the first thing they told me."

Just the mention of the incident was enough to get the wheels in Y/n's head turning. Looking over to meet eyes with Qrow, it seemed pretty obvious too.

"You've noticed it, haven't you? Something bad is gonna happen soon. Something big."

Y/n: "More than that."

Qrow: "How so?"

Y/n: "The best way I can put it is the one that scares me the most."

Qrow: "Maybe. But that hasn't stopped you yet right? What is it? What're ya feelin?"

...

Y/n: "The worst deja vu I've ever fucking had..."

...

Qrow: "Get some sleep kid. The duos are tommorow. You're gonna need to be awake if you wanna watch your team."

Turning his head to face Qrow again, Y/n found that the huntsman was already gone. Their talk was short, but they said all they needed to.

Qrow was right. Something is coming. How bad? He didnt know. How big? He didnt know that either. He did know this though.

He was ready this time. He wasn't going to hesitate. He wasn't going to be ashamed. Whatever he must do to save lives, he will. Even if it kills him again.

Wanting nothing more than to sleep, he ate the food Qrow left him, and did his best to let sleep carry him away.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(I'm sorry! I know this chapter is short, but I kinda hurt myself with it and didn't know what direction to send it! I have so many ideas, that I'm clogging myself up without realizing it. That, and my insomnia is kicking my ass even harder lately. In in a repeating cycle of consciousness, black out, repeat. Hopefully I can fix it soon so I can get back in my rhythm. Nonetheless, I hope you all enjoyed the chapter at least a little!)

(Until Next Time)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

156K 1.4K 33
In the kingdom of Mistral, there was a young boy by the name of (Y/n), he never really had a good childhood since his parents and siblings had neglec...
6.1K 110 11
(RWBY x Mute Male Reader, Volume 1) First book, spelling mistakes, bla bla you get it. Each volume will be a separate book cuz fuck it. Also, a (not...
445K 5.9K 46
A boy named (Y/N) (L/N) grew up in an orphanage and after years of he got sick of it all and ran away. He had to learn how to survive on the streets...
282K 3.6K 36
A young boy was found and adopted by a family. As anyone thought the child would have a normal life, boy they were wrong. After an incident he left h...