The Billionaire & I

By dami241

Rewritten and completed✔ Ophelia Duhamels knows what rock bottom is and vows to never hit it again after gett... More

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
39.
40.
41.
42.
43.
44.
45.
46.
47.
48.
49.
Epilogue.

16.

24.5K 1.2K 147
By dami241

When I reached my floor minutes later, Heather was back on her seat. The silence that followed was awkward and I didn't know how to even explain myself. She must be thinking the worst of me after this morning.

"Joanne and Isabella said hi. They are inviting you to Isabella's cousin's nightclub opening in three weeks," I started with, to diffuse some of the awkwardness.

"Oh, nice. I'll see if I can make it. Maybe make it a date night with my fiance." She said and I nodded. I knew the relationship between my co-worker and l, especially one I worked with so closely, had to be redeemed somehow but I was clueless on how to go about it.

"I think there is an explanation for everything. I think you're a good person and I don't think you would just do anything like that without some kind of plausible reason," Heather blurted out after a few minutes of more tensed silence. A small smile formed on my lips hearing her reassuring words.

"I, I don't even know where to start from." I sighed and sat on the edge of my desk. Heather's ears noticeably perked up and I smiled again.

"From the beginning?"

"He," I pointed to William's office, "is my ex."

"Your ex?" She stood and practically ran to me, her eyes as wide as saucers.

"Mmhm, we dated back in uni."

"So are the rumours true then?" She asked eagerly and I quickly shook my head.

"But those rumours did start because of me. I told what I thought was a little white lie to a few friends from college about us being back together and he buying this company and well it all just backfired badly and quickly too. I didn't expect one of them to post about it online but it remains my fault for telling the lie in the first place." I finished with another sigh.

"Wow, just wow." Heather's surprise was clear. Her mouth remained ajar. "That is just wow. I never would have thought! But now when I think about it, something about you two seemed a bit off, but I didn't know there was a whole history between you two!"

My life was starting to feel a little like those soap operas my mom loved watching.

"Will you tell Lilian about this? You should. She believes you have an ulterior motive which I really don't think you do. Regardless of the lie, I don't think you even like him much, like that." she flushed and I smiled.

"I will let Lilian think whatever she wants to and yes you are right, I really don't even like him." I chuckled stiffly.

"How do you manage it? Working for your ex and all?" She asked.

"I don't even know. I'm still trying to figure that out actually." I said and she laughed.

"You probably don't want anyone knowing all this so you can trust I won't be repeating it."

"Thank you Heather," I warmly smiled at her. She returned to her seat and the rest of the day went on smoothly.

***

My phone rang as I dressed up for work Thursday morning and I briskly made a mental note to change the dull bell sound ringtone to something more upbeat. I checked the caller ID, snorted and tossed the phone back onto the bed. The phone rang a total of three times more till frustration and annoyance finally had me answering my sister's call.

"Good morning sis."

"What do you want?" I asked straight away.

"Mom said today is your first payday at your new job. I wanted to congratulate you."

"Thanks."

"She also said the company now belongs to your ex. Is that really a good idea working so close to an ex, and one you really loved?"

"Mom spares no details does she?" I clenched my teeth, "my work life is none of your business Cecile. It's not like you are going to find another job for me because helping is not in your nature, only criticising. Just stay out of my affairs, I can handle them. Goodbye." I cut the call before she could speak again.

Was I too harsh on my sister? Maybe.
Did she deserve it? Absolutely.

I finished the rest of my morning routine and fifteen minutes later, was on my merry way to work. Albeit a little sour from my conversation with my sister, glee remained in me as it was indeed my first payday.

"Good morning."

"Morning Heather." I chimed at her and dropped my bag on its usual spot then sat on my seat. After Monday's incident courtesy of yours truly, William and Lilian had been at Illston tech all the while, hence it was a little unexpected to see them both come in, a few minutes later.

"Good morning ladies. Today is payday as you know, the financial department will handle that and there's not much to do there and we have no meetings for today so Lilian will continue her lessons for now." William said before entering his office. Lilian and I hadn't come face to face since our last verbal discourse and I solemnly wondered what jabs she'd have for me today.

"Good morning. I trust your nights were well spent?" She asked and Heather and I both nodded. "Good, today's lesson shall be about the media. God knows we ought to have treated that topic weeks ago."

Not too deep in my chest, I knew this lesson wouldn't and couldn't end well.

"There is another category of people we didn't discuss when we spoke about the different people you are likely to encounter while on seat. We didn't speak about the even evil manipulators. The ones who leak fake stories to the media for either five seconds of fame, money or both." Lilian's eyes remained steadfastly on me as she spoke and I shifted in my seat. "I also call them the thirsty bitches. Do excuse my language. Miss Duhamels you are familiar with that term yes?"

"I need to go to the restroom, excuse me." I said and stood up.

"Why are you running away?"

"You know what Lilian, if you have something to say, just say it directly," I turned to face her so we stood eye to eye. It wasn't even noon yet and I was already tired. I was tired of the subtle— not subtle insults.

"You speak like you are not a conniving snake amongst us," she sneered.

"Lilian such accusations are uncalled for." Heather said and stood up as well.

"The release of that rumour Monday morning, did you or did you not have anything to do with it?" Lilian shot out.

I closed my eyes then said, "I did." And she shook her head.

"Are you blackmailing Mr Illston?"

"Lilian stop it please," Heather pleaded but her words fell on deaf ears.

"Excuse me?" I asked the dark haired woman in front of me. Blackmailing? This was ridiculous.

"Why else has he not fired you if not it being you, manipulating him in some way. He refuses to say but I will find out and I promise to reveal it all. That golden thigh you are looking for to cling to is not here."

"This is honestly ridiculous, Listening to you right now is ridiculous." I rolled my eyes and brushed past her but didn't anticipate having my hair tugged and pulled back till I was once again face to face with her. My eyes flew open at the brute force I just experienced.

"Lilian!" Heather tried to stand between us but Lilian bypassed her and stood closer to me.

"How dare you shove me?" She glared dangerously at me.

"Shove you?" I laughed without mirth, "this is a fucking shove Lilian." I shoved her forcefully with my both hands against her chest and watched as she fell back on her butt looking bewildered and red.

And thus began the war.

Lilian was fast. She regained her footing and jumped me. Soon we both ended up on the floor scratching and punching each other wherever we could manage a nail or a blow. I suddenly took the upper hand and straddled her to the ground, pulling her hair out of her neat bun. Her fingers scratched at my face and I hit her shoulder repeatedly.

My mind only faintly took note of Heather who was yelling above us and trying desperately to separate us. She remained unsuccessful till two strong hands pulled me off Lilian and to my feet. I glared at Lilian who for once didn't look her prim and proper self. Her hair resembled a bird's nest and her clothes were in a disarray, almost to the point of tearing. Heather was holding her back while I surmised the strong hands on my waist belonged to William, who was saying something my mind couldn't register.

Lilian and I exchanged more verbal insults and desperately, I wished to break free of William's strong hold and sit on her and mess her hair and clothes up more. With her growls and glares, I guessed she wished the same too. This, of course didn't happen as William lifted me off the floor in one swoop and carried me into his office, where he dropped me then banged the doors shut.

"Can you calm down Ophelia?" He yelled at me but I was having none of it. I was still seething. I was livid.

"Calm down? How can I calm down when your crazy secretary has been, from the first day she met me insinuating that I want to seduce you and steal your money?!"

"Well do you?"

"Do I? Are you insane?" I stared at him.  "Only a fool who can't see your evil would do that! And only an even bigger fool would ever make the mistake of falling for you twice!" I yelled in his face.

"Fine! That's obviously not your agenda, so why let it bother you when you can just ignore her?"

"You try ignoring someone who has such biased allegations against you first!"

"I ignore you don't I?" He said and I gaped at him but he didn't let me speak, "I'm both your boss, you could have told me what was happening."

"Like that would have helped anybody." I rolled my eyes crossly.

"Jesus Ophelia, fighting at work." He ran his hand through his hair.

"She started it." I said indignantly.

"Of course she did." He rolled his eyes.

"And of course you'd believe that strict as a ram rod secretary of yours. Maybe you should just go ahead and fire me then!"

"Maybe I should but we both know I can't!"

"And why is that?" I asked carelessly although I really didn't want to lose this job yet. Today was my payday for crying out loud!

***

Ophelia baby, at least if you gon fight, collect the dough first. Yeesh.

Ya'll was a little piqued cause I left ya'll with a cliffhanger last time but I pulled through with two updates today and now I'm leaving ya'll with another cliffhanger cause I'm that bitch, been that bitch, still that bitch and will forever be that bitch hahahahahahahha.

(I love ya'll❤)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

585K 14.9K 42
I looked at his eyes and put up a strong face. His eyes bore into mine as much as mine into his. It was like he could read my mind and reach out to m...
841K 26K 56
"Well I think the best option is that we should get married" I said breaking the silence. "Have you lost your mind" she yelled at me. "Look I know...
3.7M 126K 51
#1 in Assistant - 14.12.2019 #1 in Billionaire - 20.12.2019 #10 in Romance - 23.12.2019 #2 in New Adult - 23.12.2019 #1 in Hurt - 26.12.2019 #5 in Fu...
615K 23.8K 35
Getting married to the person you loathe is the worst nightmare ever. But for Leona Wilbrose, this nightmare came true when she was forced into a mar...