Mending Her Soul

By Swarmayi

• Winner - The Rose Awards 2022 • 1st Runner Up - The Hawa Mahal Awards 2022 • Cover credit - @_littlebitcraz... More

Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Cover
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Cover 2
Epilogue
Hey There!

One

17.1K 827 171
By Swarmayi

A sound of door opening was heard and Nandini could feel her heart beating faster than ever. She got married today and it was her first night. No, it wasn't a love but an arranged marriage. She barely knows her husband. Two meets before marriage, engagement and then marriage. They never get time to spend with each other, to know each other.

She heard foot steps nearing her and clutched her lehenga tightly in her fist. She wasn't ready for their intimacy. Will he force her? Will he even ask? She should tell him? Or he will get angry if she deny? Maa said not to deny him or upset him. Various thoughts were running in her mind.

"Nandini" hearing his husky soft voice she nearly jumped on her place but Manik was quick enough to hold her. He sat beside her. She was looking down while rolling her dupatta. He could feel her hesitation, her nervousness. He smiled.

"Hey, relax. It's okay. You don't have to be scared. I am your husband not dinosaur who's gonna eat you. Relax. Calm down." Saying this he moved forward to get her water. Nandini looked at him silently. Manik came back and again she looked down. Manik chuckled.

"You can look up. There are much more better things to see rather than your designer lehenga." Her breathe hitched hearing his teasing tone. He is such a tease! She frowned a bit. Weird person! Here I am dieing out of nervousness and he wants to tease. Aiyappa!

"Hello? Back to earth madam. What are you muttering to yourself? Anyways, take this water. You'll feel better." Nandini looked up at him who smiled at her. Oh my my! His smile. Am I flying in air? Or am I swimming in water? What the hell is this weird feeling. What's happening in my stomach? His.. his mole near lip. His well maintained body. Must be working out daily. Gawddd! He looks so damn hot. And he is mine. I mean, my husband. Nandini, what are you talking? You have gone crazy.

"Done?" Asked Manik which brought Nandini back from her wild thoughts. She frowned looking at his smirk.

"What?" She asked being confused.

"Done checking me out?" And pheww. She could feel heat rushed through her cheeks. Looking away she stuttered.

"I.. I.. wasn't checking.. you.. nothing.. like.. that.." Manik laughed looking at her. Nandini looked at him and smiled. He was looking so good while laughing. Only good, ah? Her subconscious smirked.

"Look at your face. Okay I am sorry. I was just kidding. Now take this water." Nandini nodded and took the water. Manik sat beside her. Nandini looked at him.

"Nandini, I will not beat around the bushes. I know you're not ready for our intimacy neither I am. It's just that we need a time to adjust with each other, to understand and to get comfortable with each other. To trust each other. We are husband and wife for world but we both know that we are actually just a known strangers, isn't it?" Nandini nodded. Manik smiled.

"Let's be a friends first. Best friends. There shouldn't be any secrets and lies in between us. Along with happiness, we should be comfortable enough to share our sadness, or grief with each other too. Most importantly, we should trust each other. By this, we will eventually came more close to each other step by step. What do you think?" Nandini nodded.

"You're right. I agree." Manik gave her a big smile.

"Great then, get changed. Let's sleep. I am very tired and I am sure you are too." Said Manik getting up from his place. He moved towards washroom when Nandini spoke looking down with unshed tears. She remembered something.

"Is it.. is it because I am not beautiful? I know I am a bit fat. No actually more than a bit and I promise I will do proper diet and exercise to-"

"Stop stop stop. From where did this topic come? Who said you're fat? And what diet and exercise?" Manik asked to which Nandini just looked down. Manik sighed.

"Nandini, look at me." Said Manik. Nandini looked at him.

"You're the most beautiful woman I have ever seen after my mother. So never think low of yourself. You and me both know that we aren't yet comfortable that's why we are taking our time. And you're not at all fat. No need of any diet or exercise. Don't play with your health for some stupid reasons." Said Manik strictly. Nandini nodded. Suddenly Manik smirked thinking something.

"Well, I won't lie, you're a bit chubby but you know what..." Said Manik moving near her. Nandini gave him questionable look.

"I love chubby people." Saying this he winked at her and moved to washroom. Nandini took few seconds to understand what he said and blushed hard. This man! How much he flirts.

"Stop blushing and get changed, Nandini." Nandini widened her eyes hearing his shout from washroom. Later she heard his laugh too. Beating her forehead she started to get changed.

After sometime,

"Manik ji.." hearing her Manik stopped in between his work and looked at her widening his eyes.

"What did you say?"

"Ma.. Manik ji?" Said Nandini getting nervous of his reaction. Manik laughed.

"Oh god! Nandini! Like seriously? Manik ji? Jiiii? Do I look like 70 year old babaji? What's up with this A ji O ji? Come on, we are not in 18th century. And remember we are friends. Call me, Manik. Okay?" He said smiling at last. Nandini nodded with a smile.

"Okay, Manik."

"Hassshh. That sounds perfect. Now say what you wanted to say." Nandini bobbed her head.

"Thank you." Manik looked at her confused.

"Thank you?" Nandini nodded.

"For understanding me and for making me understand too." Manik smiled.

"Not accepted."

"What?"

"Your Thank you."

"But why?"

"Because you're my friend. My friendship has some rules and first rule is - In friendship, no sorry and no thank you." Nandini smiled beautifully hearing him. Manik get lost in her smile. She looked divine. Flawless. How can someone be so pretty and beautiful? He kept staring at her.

"Okay. I take my words back. Happy?" Asked Nandini but Manik was busy admiring her. Nandini looked at him and waved her hand.

"Hello? I am talking to you? Where are you lost?" Hearing her Manik came in sense and gave her a sheepish smile.

"Umm.. nothing. Let's sleep. It's late." Nandini bobbed her head. Manik off the lights and lied down. Nandini lied down beside him. Both were feeling something different. Manik looked at her.

"Nandini?" He forwarded his hand. Nandini looked at him.

"When we have to take little steps towards each other then why not? It's okay if you're not comfortable I just-" but Nandini slowly kept her head on his hand closing her eyes. Slowly she kept her hand on his chest and clutched his shirt in her fist. Manik smiled. He took her in his embrace properly and both slept peacefully.

A beautiful start of their beautiful journey.

_____________________

Two months later -

"Nandini, beta come na. Sit with us. You are there from so long. Geeta will do remaining work now. Come." Niyonika, her mother in law said. Nandini gave her small smile.

"No mumma. It is okay. I will help Geeta kaki. It is almost over. Aap aur Dad baithiye. I will bring some tea and snacks for you both." Niyonika shook her head and moved near her. She dragged Nandini towards couch and made her sit.

"We just now had our snacks and juice so don't feel like eating. Now sit here and keep quiet. I will make some coffee for you. You don't like tea, right?" Nandini thought something and shook her head.

Flashback :-

"Nandu, make tea for your Dad and coffee for me." Her mother, Ishani shouted.

Nandini who was resting a bit after her class, was looking little pale. She moved towards kitchen where her mother was making fruit salad. She circled her arms around her neck from back. Her mother smiled.

"Aa gayi. Come baby, make it fast. Your Dad and I have to go out. It's already evening. We need to rush fast." Nandini kept head on her shoulder.

"I am having headache and feeling tired, Maa. Will you please make it today? Make one cup coffee for me too." Her mother stopped doing her work and looked at her.

"What difficult work I told you to do? Always ready to deny with super excuses. You just had to make tea and coffee. But no! And on the top of that, madam ordered me to make one for herself. Doesn't even feel shame? Don't look at me like this. Move away and let me do my work. You can deny to me but I can not deny to anyone." Said her mother angrily while taking out tea pan and necessary things. Nandini felt hurt.

"Maa, I didn't mean that. I never denied you but today I was really feeling like-"

"Nandini! How many times I have to tell you? Never answer back. If she is saying something then it is your mistake. Accept it. Say sorry and close the topic." Nandini's father, Ritesh Murty, who came there to call her mother heard Nandini saying. She looked down with a teary eyes hearing him. Ishani was busy muttering something.

"I- I am sorry. This won't happen again." Saying this Nandini immediately rushed out from there. Ritesh tried talking to her something but she was fast enough while Ishani just shook her head.

"Say a single word and taps of our eyes are ready to burst. Too amazing! Our parents used to beat us with broomsticks. We never raise a hand on our child. But still this generation take us granted." Ritesh sighed hearing his wife and asked her to be fast.

Flashback Ends.

Coming out of her thoughts, Nandini held the hands of Niyonika lovingly.

"Arey no, mumma. Aap rehne dijiye please. I don't want anything. See, Cabir bhai and Manik is also home. You all sit, I will quickly make something for all. Garma garam kuch banati hu." Seeing Manik and Cabir at door Nandini rushed inside giving smile to the tired Manik who returned it back. Niyonika sighed.

"This girl is making me so worried. Always working. It's been only two months to her marriage and she does everything by her ownself. What's the need? We have so many servants. Her health matters the most. How much tired she gets! She doesn't even let me enter in kitchen. Your wife is a single piece, Manik." Manik shook his head hearing Niyonika.

"Aap ki hi bahu hai, Mom." Niyonika glared at him while his father and brother laughed.

"True that. But Nandini got comfortable with us a bit early than Niyo. You know Manik, my mom used to get very irritate when Niyonika used to roam around her always calling 'mummy ji'. She was modern saas. And Niyonika made her feel like some aunty ji. Be happy Niyo, atleast our Nandini doesn't call you mummy jiiii." Raj and Cabir laughed earning a glare from Niyonika while Manik remembered how Nandini called him 'Manik ji' on their first night. He chuckled.

"Enough okay? Raj you na always need opportunity to tease me. Bas shuru ho jate hai jab dekho tab." Niyonika complained when Nandini came out with water for Cabir, Manik and behind her butlers came with their tea and snacks.

"Okay people, you continue with your snacks, we already had done. Will be in our room now. Nandu, beta call me before dinner. I will help you." Said Niyonika on which Nandini bobbed her head.

"Okay mumma." Both Niyonika and Raj moved to their room. Now only Cabir, Nandini and Manik left.

"Palak pakora and aloo tikki! Woww bhabhi! Looks delicious. By god, I was so hungry." Said Cabir attacking on food. Nandini gave him smile.

"You are hungry at 24×7. Tell us something new, Cabiraa. Duh!" Said Manik munching his food. Cabir glared at him.

"Haan toh? If I eat or won't, what's up with you? I will eat whatever and how much I want. Tujhse permission nei mangi maine." Nandini was standing beside them smiling silently enjoying the banter of both brothers.

Flashback -

"Rishuu.. You are gone by my hands! Give me my friesss. You already finished yours. Maa tell him no!" Nandini whined loudly running behind her younger brother who ran away taking her french fries. Ishani shook her head.

"Arey diii.. don't you know - jo tera hai voh mera hai?" Nandini threw a pillow on him which he missed and laughed.

"Nandu.. let it be na. He is your small brother. What if he eats little more. You take more next time okay?" Said Ishani. Nandini pouted sadly and looked at her father who just came there.

"Dad!! See na Rishu isn't giving my french fries. You scold him nah.." Ritesh side hugged Nandini and glared at Rishabh.

"Rishu, give her fries back. How many times I have told you, don't trouble her. She's your elder sister. Respect her and don't tease now." He said on which Nandini gave winning smile to Rishabh. He made faces and returned her fries. Nandini smiled brightly and started munching it.

"Ishani, I don't have more work today. I will come early. Let's go out for dinner." Ishani nodded with a smile while Nandini jumped near him.

"Really papa? Woww! Thank you so much. You know I didn't have outside food from so long. Now we will have so many different dishes okay?" Asked Nandini like a baby. Ritesh laughed while Ishani shook her head smiling, looking at their 21 year old baby.

"As you say, high command." Nandini giggled hearing him and hugged him tight.

"You are the best. Love you, papa."

"Haha! Love you too, betu." Rishabh made grumpy face and got up.

"You all only go. I have project to submit tomorrow. I can't come and waste time. Vaise bhi, mere na aane se kisi ko kya farak padega. High command jo hai sath mei." Ritesh shot him a glare.

"Rishabh.."

"Rishu, why are saying like this? Don't be angry na. Let's go for dinner. We will enjoy. There you can eat how much you want to. That too without snatching mine." Saying this Nandini laughed along with her father. Rishabh looked at her angrily.

"No thanks, dii. I don't wanna eat tons of food and ruin my body like yours. I have better-"

"RISHABH! MIND YOUR TONGUE. SHE'S YOUR ELDER SISTER." Ritesh got furious hearing his words and tone for Nandini. She was looking down with teary eyes. Ishani interfered.

"Ritesh, it's okay. Calm down. I will talk to him. Bachha hai-"

"Bachha nahi hai voh abhi. 19 year old hai. Engineering ki last year mei hai. Agle saal janab abroad jayenge. Kya aise behave karenge logonse? Ask him to be well mannered first. Then flaunt his educational skills." Hearing him Rishabh left from there stomping his foot.

"Rishu.. Rishu listen to me. Meri baat toh suno.. Rishu!" Ishani tried to stop him but no use. Nandini kept hand on her shoulder.

"Don't worry maa, he will be fine. Thoda gussa hai bas. I will talk and make him understand." Ishani jerked her hand.

"No need. I will look after him. Jitna kiya hai na, kafi hai. Jake aur gussa mat dila usey. Are you a kid? Kya jarurat thi voh fries ke liye itna rone ki? Kabhi milte nahi hai kya? Ek din khane deti uesy. Kya bigadta? Par nahi. If the thing you say is yours then no one should touch it or take it. Right?" Nandini was looking at her with eyes full of tears.

"Ishani, iss baar galti uski thi. Don't support him. Did you see how he behaved?" Said Ritesh seriously.

"Aap toh rehne hi dijiye, Ritesh. You always find him wrong. What was the need to scold him so much? My son will be engineer now. Will be working in international companies. He will not be any artist moving here and there struggling for job. He will have some respect in society and we should be proud of that." Said Ishani while Ritesh was giving her unbelievable look.

"Ishani? Are you even hearing yourself?"

Nandini shot her head up towards her mother hearing her words. From where this Artist and Engineer comparison came? Is she pointing at her? Just because she completed her education in arts and now is a good singer, doesn't mean she has less respect in society. She felt so low hearing her mother and left from there hurriedly controlling her sob.

Flashback Ends.

Nandini jerked out of her thoughts feeling hand on her shoulder. Manik raised his brows. Nandini looked around. Cabir wasn't there. Probably he left when she was busy in her own world. She let out a sigh.

"What happened, wifey? You look lost. All okay?" Asked Manik on which Nandini just rested her head on his shoulder. Manik took her in his embrace silently. He knew she was disturbed.

In this two months, both came very close to each other. They started sharing everything with each other. Manik used to tease her alot. Where as Nandini used to be like a grumpy kid around him. Whining and cribbing. Sometimes shouting. But he never complained. He liked to pamper her. He loved to see the kid inside her. He loved her innocence. He never let her feel alone or left out in his house. He was always there for her. She was so happy in her inlaws house that she rarely missed her parents, her brother. Manik was always conscious about her health. He was very particular and strict about her eating habits, he scolds her if she ignores her health. Same goes to Nandini. She never let him ignore his health in work. She takes proper care of him. Whenever he gets up from sleep, he gets a cup of her handmade tea. His clothes are always ready when he comes out of washroom. His wallet, watch, handkerchief, mobile, laptop and every damn thing she keeps on its place. She roams around him just like his shadow giving never ending lectures of how he shouldn't drive fast, how he shouldn't skip lunch, how he should control his temper and much more. The couple has changed drastically after a month. They were no more only friends. Forehead kiss, a kiss on cheek, holding each other tight, cuddling in each others arms were very common between them now. There was no hesitation or nervousness.

"Nandini..?"

"Hmmm."

"Let's go to our room." Saying this he took her inside. Both settled on couch.

"What happened sweetheart? Are you fine?" Asked Manik caressing her hairs. Nandini looked at him and tear fell from her eyes.

"Am I adopted?"

Manik felt his world spinned.

Screen freezes.

__________________

Date of publishing : 11 December 2020.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12K 805 6
I am Craving for the cheesiest Pizza ever! But the problem is its almost half past 2 in the morning and Pizza is not too good for my health, but I wa...
829K 47.4K 60
Please let me go my papa will be panic, Manik I will talk to him, see he knows that you are my first choice I will convince him please if you want co...
478K 30.2K 50
This story continues after musicana where manik left nandini because of dhruv. So tune in to read to know where destiny will take these two & there s...
301K 29.2K 46
He is 25, she is 22... He is a Navy officer, she is a baker by profession... He is tall & handsome, she is short & pretty... He is calm & quiet, she...