Eighteen, Aaron Hotchner

By -REIDSH0E

Cassidy "Cassie" Mae Dylan, a childhood best friend to Aaron Hotchner. Best friends, but they both secretly w... More

Chapter 1, Reality Check
Chapter 2, Awkward
Chapter 3, A Talk
Chapter 4, Apologies
Chapter 5, New Normal
Chapter 6, Being Truthful
Chapter 7, Letters
Chapter 8, Never
Chapter 9, Goodbye
Chapter 10, Shitty Days
Chapter 11, Encounter
Chapter 12, Reconcile
Chapter 13, Old Feelings
Chapter 14, Dinner
Chapter 15, New Friend
Chapter 16, Anger
Chapter 17, More Than This
Chapter 19, One's End
Chapter 20, Safety
Chapter 21, Rest in Peace
Chapter 22, Ready to Run
Chapter 23, Parental Figures
Chapter 24, Moving Day
Chapter 25, New Ways
Chapter 26, A Mother's Love
Chapter 27, Romantic Outing
Chapter 28, Dinner Party
Chapter 29, Surprise
Chapter 30, New Year
Epilogue

Chapter 18, A Divorce

5.9K 115 151
By -REIDSH0E

Chapter 18, A Divorce

October 11th, 2008

Aaron's POV

Haley and Jack returned home after that note. They went to visit her parents. Haley and I tried to be civil, but she was right. Our relationship needed to end. So, I took the necessary steps to do so.

"What are these?" I hear Haley whisper scream. We had just put Jack down for the night, and I set down the divorce papers on the counter.

"They're divorce papers. Just like you wanted, Haley. I'm sick of the emotional abuse I take from you! I'm sick of you trying to make me inferior to you, just because I can't be home as often as I'd like to be. I've had enough." I say, and Haley looks offended.

"Emotional abuse? You want to talk about emotional abuse? What about the constant worry of whether or not you're going to make it home in one piece? You're away constantly Aaron. Jack needs his father." Haley spits out, and I know she's not completely wrong.

"Jack has a father, it's me. We spend every moment we can together. Don't think you're so innocent over there, Sweetie Pie. I know you're cheating on me. Please just sign the damn papers." I say, and Haley inches closer to me.

The anger building in the room. I didn't know what she was going to do. All I knew is that I needed to stand my ground. "You're willing to give up on a decade worth of love, just like that?" She asks.

I didn't love her, not in the way I thought. I love Cassie, and seeing her 'be' with Spencer pissed me off. I'm just glad they let me in on this little plan, so I wasn't as mad. "Don't turn this around on me. You're the one who told me you wanted the divorce first. You're the one that's cheating. You're the one always pushing me down, badgering me that 'I'm not a good Father.' So yeah, I'm done Haley. I'm fucking done." I say pissed off.

Haley's eyes shoot through me, telling me all her anger. She's going to do something. "You're a piece of shit. You don't love me, not like you used to. Let me guess, it's because of Cassidy isn't it? You love her, and you're taking shit out on me because she's in love with your co-worker. Aaron she doesn't love you, she never will love you. Don't think I didn't see you glance at her like you'd rip her fucking clothes off." She replies, angrily.

Before I could say another word, Haley goes to grab her purse. She signed the papers, and walked back toward me. "Here Aaron. You wanna chase after the same slut you have your entire life then go for it. By the way, I was fucking your brother. He was always much better in bed. I'll be filing for full custody of Jack." She says, walking out.

I have never felt more relieved, sad, and angry all at once. I did the only thing I could think of to help calm me down. Call Cassie. I quickly dial her number, hoping to God she'll answer.

"Aaron?" I heard her question, as she answered the phone on the first ring. I didn't say anything, my emotions running rampant. All I could do was sob. "Are you okay? Where are you?" I hear her again.

"Purple." Is all I manage to get out, hoping she'll understand what I meant. I hear rustling on the other end of the line. I push myself against a wall and slide down.

"Don't worry, I'll be there in ten minutes. I'll get your address from Spencer. Inhale and exhale, it'll be alright Aaron." She says, and I hear the phone go dead.

I sit there, my chest tightening, my eyes overflowing with tears. It's hard to breathe, to focus, all I want is Cassie here. Haley's gone, which I'm more than thankful for. I just don't know how I'm going to be able to tell Jack where his Mom is, because i don't know myself.

As much as Haley hurt me, I want the best for her. I want to be able to raise our son, without fighting constantly. Getting a divorce is the only way to do that. All Haley did was bash me for being away so much, it's not like I wanted to but this was my job. It's how I helped provide for our family, and it pays pretty damn well.

After what felt like hours, Cassie knocked on the door. I got up and opened the door. I knew I looked like a trainwreck, when I saw Cassie's head slump down. "Aaron, what happened?" She asked.

We made our way over to the living room, and sat on the couch. Cassie sits, watching my every move. "I gave Haley the divorce papers. She flipped out, understandably so. However, she just left and I knew she was cheating on me. What I didn't know was that it was my brother." I say, tearing up again from the memory.

I purposely left out the streaming about the emotional abuse, because I knew how mad Cassie would've been that I stayed for so long. "Come here. Let me hold you." She says, holding her arms out.

I lean into her, and she wraps her arms around me. She's trying to comfort me, and it's working. I feel safe in her arms. Cassie and I shifted our positions a little bit to make it more comfortable, and we didn't leave that spot.

"I'm so happy that you remembered what purple meant." I whisper, as Cassie's combing through my hair with her fingers.

I hear a small taken-back sigh fall from her mouth. "I'm surprised you remembered. I figured you forgot after all these years. You know there wasn't a day, in the ten years we spent apart, I didn't think of you?" She asks, and I smile.

I look up at her, and she smiles. "How could I forget? We told each other that if we said 'purple' it was when we needed each other the most. Cassie, I thought about you constantly. I didn't want to lose touch. I regretted it, and I just didn't know how to face you." I say, and she continues playing with my hair.

"I did too. What are you going to tell Jack?" She asked, and I shrugged my shoulders.

"I don't know, Cassie. I just don't know. I'm glad she's gone, but I don't want her to have full custody." I start, tearing up again. I know they might be able to deem me "unfit" for full custody, but I should be able to have joint custody of Jack.

"It'll be okay. We'll fight her. I'm not leaving you, Aaron. Not again." Cassie says, and I nuzzle into her more. Cuddling her, basically.

"Good, because I won't let you. I don't want all of this to be about me. How's the whole tricking Morgan going?" I ask, looking up at her.

I see her smile, and laugh slightly. She's so damn cute. Her dimple shows when she smiles, I love that. "Well, we have him convinced that we're dating. So, it's about time you 'find' out about it." She says, and my smile fades. Wait, was I smiling at her?

"Oh. So, now I have to 'fight' with you, after all of this?" I ask, not trying to be mean. All I want is Cassie and I to stay like this forever.

"Not right this second. I'm going to go to the office, and go to lunch with Spencer tomorrow. He's going to come back upset. He's going to tell Derek that he's upset that I want to tell you. Spencer is against it, and then in a few days we will go without talking. Unless you guys, have a case. Then like next week or so, I'm going to walk straight into your office. I'm going to tell you, and then we will 'fight.'" She says, and I nod.

"Wow, you really have this all planned out. Why did you need such an elaborate plan just for the fact of pranking someone?" I ask, even though I know it's because Derek is a profiler.

"Well, Mr. Profiler it's because we have to make it seem extremely real. Derek isn't that gullible." She replies laughing. I laugh too, and I look down at my watch. It's one fifteen in the morning.

I frown knowing I can't confuse Jack even more. I don't know what to say to him about Haley, let alone what I'd say about Cassie being here. "Well, as much as it was fun to catch up, talk, and be there for you, I should go. You have a lot on your plate with everything. I need to get home before I'm too tired to drive." Cassie says, tapping me on my shoulders.

I sat up sad, as I never wanted this moment to end. I know however it's the best decision. "Seriously Cassie, thank you." I say, as she gets up to grab her things. I get up too, to walk her out the door.

"There's no need to thank me. If I didn't want to be here, I wouldn't have come. I'll see you soon. Bye Aaron." She says, and I smile.

"Goodnight, Cassie." I say, and she walks out the door. I quickly text her to please let me know when she makes it home.

She responds back, telling me she will. I shut and lock the door behind her. I head upstairs heading to Jack's room to check in on him. I know he's sleeping, but I like to just make sure. He's so peaceful when he sleeps, it's adorable. I head for my room, and it feels weird not having Haley there. I text Haley to make sure she's okay.

Aaron: Haley, I know we aren't on good terms with everything. I want to know you're okay. We need to find a way to communicate what happened with Jack.

I sigh, putting my phone down. I put on my night clothes and I hear a ding come from my phone.

Haley: I AM oKay, It's been harD Not to cry. pleAse PamPer jack with all thE love anD hugs.

I was very confused, as I read this. Was she drunk? Her letters are everywhere. This isn't how she texts. I quickly grab out my phone and call the only person I could think of to help me.  

Author's Note 

Can you guess what the message is really saying? I'm sure I've probably made it obvious to where this is leading. HOWEVER, next chapter is NOT LIKE THE SHOW. So please when you tell me, "this didn't happen in criminal minds" I know that! I put my own twist on it, because I don't want this to fit the show perfectly. Thank you guys for reading, ily all!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

58.7K 978 19
spencer reid fan fiction. spencer reid meets a girl, who is the complete opposite of him. but also, exactly like him. gianna beckett, seems to have s...
331K 6.7K 21
Y/N begins to work at the BAU and is instantly interested in Aaron Hotchner. After several years and many crazy events, they try to work out their tr...
70.9K 2.1K 67
Sunday Finnegan is the definition of chaotically detailed. She is powered by coffee thanks to her addiction of reading smutty books till 3am, cheerfu...
242K 4.2K 36
When Spencer Reid's girlfriend Leah finds out that she's pregnant, she and Spencer couldn't be happier. But then Leah's parents tell her that she's a...